Replies

Designated Broadcast/multicast uplink port

Hele Du
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

If I have a chassis with two 2208IO modules and FI6248XPs,

I pinning each server on each uplink.

I setup a designated B/M uplink on FI6248 port 1, Does it mean only blade 1 server can receive B/M traffic?

As far as I know, If i want to access a server I must know what MAC address it is, and ARP is a broadcast traffic.

So, how does remote know local server MAC address, like blade 2,3,4...?

Thank you

From Hele

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

In UCSM 1.4 and earlier, we did NOT have the option to set up a disjoint layer 2, so it used to work the way you are guessing so the recommendation then was to swtich from End Host Mode (EHM) to Switching mode, however, now with 2.0 and 2.1, we can set up Disjoint Layer 2.

{Now is NOT recommended to use Switching mode, EHM in new versions has all the features you need so you do not lose the functionalities available there}

This is the way it works from 2.0 and newer:

This way you can have an uplink per VLAN designated as receiver for B/M.

Check this out, it can help you understand how this works and how to workaround the traffic:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns944/white_paper_c11-692008.html

I hope that helps.

-Kenny

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

In UCSM 1.4 and earlier, we did NOT have the option to set up a disjoint layer 2, so it used to work the way you are guessing so the recommendation then was to swtich from End Host Mode (EHM) to Switching mode, however, now with 2.0 and 2.1, we can set up Disjoint Layer 2.

{Now is NOT recommended to use Switching mode, EHM in new versions has all the features you need so you do not lose the functionalities available there}

This is the way it works from 2.0 and newer:

This way you can have an uplink per VLAN designated as receiver for B/M.

Check this out, it can help you understand how this works and how to workaround the traffic:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns944/white_paper_c11-692008.html

I hope that helps.

-Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thank you for your answer.

I am sorry I donot understand what is L2 disjoint network.

For example,

Does it mean FI have two uplinks, one is for VLAN 10 and another is for VLAN 150, I can separate two layer 2 network and they can not communicate with each other?

BTW, I must donot setup overlap VLAN ID in FI.

Thank you Kenny,

I had read this white pager and found answer.

Hele du,

I am glad that document help you understand, if there are any more doubts, let us know, the community is a gret place for fast answers.

If you think your question is answered, mark it as such for us to keep track within the community.

-Kenny

Hi Keny,

Could you help me to solve another question ?

This is a question.

There are two different mode on VM-FEX, software mode and hardware mode.

Hardmode include Bypass and emulated,right?

So, what is a VM-FEX in software mode?

Hi,

Well, I gotta be honest with you, I had never heard the term but I would like to share something with you cause I saw that this is not the first time you have questions about VM-FEX.

These are the 2 modes I had heard before, I am not sure if you were trying to refer to one of those:

It comes from this great presentation from Ciscolive!:

http://www.alcatron.net/Cisco%20Live%202013%20Melbourne/Cisco%20Live%20Content/Data%20Centre%20And%20Virtualisation/BRKCOM-2003%20%20UCS%20Networking%20-%20Deep%20Dive%20including%20VM-FEX.pdf       it starts on page 58

It also covers Disjoint L2 briefly, which was part of your original question, in page 91.

Also, this book http://www.ciscopress.com/store/data-center-virtualization-fundamentals-understanding-9781587143243 from a great colleague covers a good amount of information about VM-FEX 

I hope this helps somehow with your question/doubts.

-Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for everything you did.

I had read that presentaion before, that is pretty good.

That's what we are here for! 

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: