cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between Decommissioning chassis and Removing?

tmhudgins
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I had a pair of 6120s managing a single UCS Chassis. I needed to switch to a different (set of 2) of chassis. I re-cabled the 6120s to the new chassis and UCSM now shows 3 chassis - Chassis 1 is the old one (and it has communication errors of course), and the 2 new ones.

I see that, for Chassis 1, I can either Decommission it or Remove it but I can find no documentation on what either does. Seems like I want to Remove it so that my new chassis are numbered from 1 to 2 but I don't know if I need to Decomm first or what.

Hope that all makes sense. Thanks for any insight,

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shin Ito
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom,

When you'd like to remove a blade from a chassis, you generally have to "Decommision" the blade first. This will remove the blade information from the configuration database. So in your case, please select "Decommission" first before removing the corresponding blade to remove the blade from the DB, and then you can move the blade physically between the chassis's.

On the other hand, it's the case when you have to physically remove a blade from the chassis by any reason before decommissioning it, its information remains in the configuration database. Then please select "Remove" for the slot that the blade has ever been inserted to remove the blade information from the DB. You can't select "Remove" if the blade is physically inserted in the slot.

Please see also P.410 and 411 in "Cisco UCS Manager GUI Configuration Guide, Release 1.3(1)".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/1.3.1/UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_1_3_1.pdf

==========

Decommissioning a Server

This procedure decommissions a server and deletes it from the Cisco UCS configuration. The server hardware
physically remains in the Cisco UCS instance. However, Cisco UCS Manager ignores it and does not list it
with the other servers in the chassis.

==========

==========

Removing a Non-Existent Server from the Configuration Database

Perform the following procedure if you physically removed a server from its slot in a chassis without first
decommissioning the server. You cannot perform this procedure if the server is physically present in the
chassis slot.

==========

Best regards,

Shin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Shin Ito
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom,

When you'd like to remove a blade from a chassis, you generally have to "Decommision" the blade first. This will remove the blade information from the configuration database. So in your case, please select "Decommission" first before removing the corresponding blade to remove the blade from the DB, and then you can move the blade physically between the chassis's.

On the other hand, it's the case when you have to physically remove a blade from the chassis by any reason before decommissioning it, its information remains in the configuration database. Then please select "Remove" for the slot that the blade has ever been inserted to remove the blade information from the DB. You can't select "Remove" if the blade is physically inserted in the slot.

Please see also P.410 and 411 in "Cisco UCS Manager GUI Configuration Guide, Release 1.3(1)".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/1.3.1/UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_1_3_1.pdf

==========

Decommissioning a Server

This procedure decommissions a server and deletes it from the Cisco UCS configuration. The server hardware
physically remains in the Cisco UCS instance. However, Cisco UCS Manager ignores it and does not list it
with the other servers in the chassis.

==========

==========

Removing a Non-Existent Server from the Configuration Database

Perform the following procedure if you physically removed a server from its slot in a chassis without first
decommissioning the server. You cannot perform this procedure if the server is physically present in the
chassis slot.

==========

Best regards,

Shin

Thanks for the reply Shin. I was actually talking about the chassis as a whole, not a blade.

I ended up just removing the Chassis. Everything worked fine (after all the errors and warnings resolved themselves). The only remaining "issue" is that it didn't renumber the chassis so now I have Chassis 2 and 3 in my system - no chassis 1 - which looks kind of strange. Cisco Tac said that there is no way to renumber without destroying the whole config and rediscovering everything. I don't want to do that at this point.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the misreading..

As you mentioned, there is no way to renumber chassis without destroying the whole config and rediscovering everything. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Best regards,

Shin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card