cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable/Enable NIC with CIMC

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

Is it possible to disable and enable a NIC on a UCS server (C220 in my case) using the CIMC?  Thanks,  Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Mike,

If you are asking about enabling / disabling LOM ports, yes we can make that change from CIMC.

Here is a screenshot from C220 M3 running CIMC 1.5.3d version

HTH

Padma

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depending which adaptor you're referring to, but generally no you can't force the hardware to "hide" adaptors.  You can opt to not install drivers, in which case the OS may not detect it, but thats it.

Robert

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Mike,

If you are asking about enabling / disabling LOM ports, yes we can make that change from CIMC.

Here is a screenshot from C220 M3 running CIMC 1.5.3d version

HTH

Padma

THanks Padma.  So since this is a BIOS setting, if I set LOM Port 1 to "disabled", that would only take effect on reboot?

And one more question regarding this: is there a way from the CIMC to tell if a NIC has an active link?  Thanks

Mike,

In regards to the BIOS setting recommended...yes, the CIMC will actually tell you that.

In regards to the active link for a NIC, do you mean something like what can be seen under External Ethernet Interfaces going to "Server> Inventory> VIC adapters> General " ?

Let me know if I missunderstood you or if you have more questions.

-Rate all helpful answers.

Kenny

Kenny, in this case I'm referring to the on-board NICs.  So if I'm the admin of the server, and I have no access to the switch that the server is connected to, is there a way for me to remotely determine if there is an active link between the NIC and the switch using the CIMC?  Does that make sense?  Thanks!

Mike,

Yeah, it makes a lot of sense and happens very often... I have never seen how that can be done for the LOM ports, I only know how to do it for the PCIe cards and it can be done from the GUI as I showed or a more granular way from the CLI.

-Kenny

Mike/Kenny,

As mentioned in this thread you can disable the ports in BIOS so that they will not show up to the OS on the next reboot.  However this is not the same as enable/disable of the port, it's removing it from the PCIe complex completely.  As shown you can see the status of the ports on the VIC, but not the LOMs today.

Steve McQuerry

UCS- Technical Marketing

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card