Views
Helpful
Replies

Disassociate service profile from server

ravisnv01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 4 servers in 2 Chassis(5108) & 2 Fabric Interconnects- 6248UP want to disassociate service profile from one of server which created using Service profile template.

Please guide procedure for the same.

Regards,

Ravi

6 Replies 6

Qiese Dides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ravisnv,

A great guide on how to disassociate the service profile from the server or template is below;

Under the section: Disassociating a service profile from a server or server pool

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-1/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_1/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_1_chapter_0100001.html#task_857BCB813B35440F94EF5B0B7451FF0A

The steps are also below;

When you disassociate a service profile, Cisco UCS Manager attempts to shutdown the operating system on the server. If the operating system does not shutdown within a reasonable length of time, Cisco UCS Manager forces the server to shutdown.

Procedure

Step 1   In the Navigation pane, click the Servers tab.
    Step 2   On the Servers tab, expand Servers > Service Profiles.
    Step 3   Expand the node for the organization that contains the service profile that you want to disassociate from a server or server pool.

If the system does not include multitenancy, expand the root node.

Step 4   Right-click the service profile you want to disassociate from a server and select Disassociate Service Profile.
    Step 5   In the Disassociate Service Profile dialog box, click Yes to confirm that you want to disassociate the service profile.
    Step 6  

(Optional)Monitor the status and FSM for the server to confirm that the disassociation completed.

When wanting to disassociate the service profile form the Service Profile Template you would click on the Service Profile in question and go to the General Tab within that tab under the actions box you would click Unbind from Template this would unbind this service profile from a template that it is attached to.

Hope this helps,

Qiese Dides

Thanks for reply,

Want to add few more details. As each blade have 2 SD-cards (Raid-1) & installed ESXi with configuration of 10 vNIC & 2 vHBA. I want to keep all this setting as it is.

So will there any impact if I disassociate Service Profile?

Will blade server need to shutdown before disassociating service profile?

Ravi.

If there is data you want to keep, the local disk policy has an option to 'protect config' that will keep if from being over written if you re-associate with a different disk/raid policy.

Service profiles retain UUIDs, Mac addresses, WWPNs for FC, all the vnic and vHBA information.  If you need to service or replace any of the server/blades hardware, the service profile will still provide the same exact configuration.

It is best to gracefully power off the server's OS 1st, although the disassociating process will try to shut it down during the disassociation process.

Are you doing some kind of hardware maintenance, or physically moving the blades from one slot to another, that is triggering the need to disassociate?

Thanks,

Kirk..

Dear Kirk,

Initially blade servers were installed with same template. Now 2 servers networking settings need to change for specific vLANs. As I am able to modify changes but it is replicating on all 4 servers may be due to templates. The current requirement for only 2 servers. 

So is there any option to make changes only for 2 servers.

Is there also need to unbind from template or it will automatically unbind while process?

As all pools (UUID/MAC/WWPN/WWNN/KVM/SERVER) are created. So after changes keeping hope all will be as it is for 2 servers?

Also I removed those 2 servers from server pool. Will that fine or need to add in exiting server pool?

As I am not much practically aware about these so want to take precautions.

Thanks,

Ravi

I created clone of earlier service profile then created service profile template & assigned to Servers.

It works fine.... Thanks.

Now supposed want to swap blade from one chassis to other chassis so what will have to do? What is procedure to work without any manual process?

Is that can be done via Static WWN?

Thanks,

Ravi.

Kirk J
    Cisco Employee
    Cisco Employee

As far a disassociation is concerned, it is the same whether the service profile is standalone or linked to a template.

Also, before disassociating a service profile please check your 'scrub' policies to make sure you understand if your local disks will be wiped when disassociating.

Make sure the Disk Scrub is set to no, unless you actually want the disks to be scrubbed/wiped.

Select the service profile that is actively applied to a particular blade/server.

Under the general tab you will see an option for 'disassociate'

You will have to confirm with a 'yes' click to complete

The disassociate process usually takes a few minutes to complete.

Thanks,

Kirk..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card