cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does UCS-CPU-GREASE2= have a red cap or a blue cap on the syringe?

short version: Does UCS-CPU-GREASE2= have a red cap or a blue cap on the syringe?

long version:

We got some UCS-CPU-E5-2620= cpu's to install in our UCS C220 M3 servers. The pre applied thermal compound on one of the heatsinks was smudged so we need to re-apply it.

The UCS-CPU-E5-2620= came with two tubes of thermal compound included. One had a red cap, the other a blue cap. Instructions indicate that we need to use UCS-CPU-GREASE2= (rather than UCS-CPU-GREASE=) with the UCS C220 M3, yet the tubes are not labeled by cisco so we don't know which to use. Does UCS-CPU-GREASE2= have a red cap or a blue cap?

Anthony

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dvalentine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there ciscoanthonycisco,

We had the same issue within 24 hours of yourself.

Lucky we still had the case open with Cisco and this was thier reply

"I believe it’s the blue one that needs to be used, for documentation on the process kindly find the link bellow"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpMb8VGZjek&list=PLoEfUT-TByv5CB4-FYWe-0oqjT9tgV_wE&index=2

So according to great oracle we choose the blue pill and not the red one

(No warranty implied)

View solution in original post

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just so its official...

The red capped is for C220 and C240 M3s only, whereas the blue cap is for all other servers. 

You might want to correct the above information as its incorrect.  We've started labelling the grease syringes with the platform they belong with - until then please use informaiton here.

Regards,

Robert

More clarification:  This is the official answer from the PM that manages this.  In addition labels are being added to the Bill of Materials for these parts to help avoid confusion in the future but this can take time to make happen and I'm not sure if existing stock will be reworked to have the labels added.

Mike

Edit:  And the blue cap is for all other servers without a thermal pad.

10 Replies 10

dvalentine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there ciscoanthonycisco,

We had the same issue within 24 hours of yourself.

Lucky we still had the case open with Cisco and this was thier reply

"I believe it’s the blue one that needs to be used, for documentation on the process kindly find the link bellow"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpMb8VGZjek&list=PLoEfUT-TByv5CB4-FYWe-0oqjT9tgV_wE&index=2

So according to great oracle we choose the blue pill and not the red one

(No warranty implied)

HI David,

Thank you for your answer. It sounds like Cisco was not too sure. I hope they are right. Can you confirm that your case with Cisco was for a UCS C220 M3 rack mount server, rather than a blade server as in the video?

That video was enlightening. It explains why the cpu socket cover removal tool they supplied was unusable. It seem to be for removing a cpu socket cover on a blade rather than a rack server. Not sure why the use different covers.

Thanks again.

Anthony

I just saw this thread for the same issue and they think it is the red cap one for UCS C220 M3. I am not sure which now.

Anthony

dvalentine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ciscoanthonycisco,

We have a case open with Cisco and made sense to ask them as if we don't and we used the red then we would have not a leg to stand on if the there is an issue.

In this case have recourse if blue is incorrect. We will be burning in the cpu's over the next couple of days and monitoring the temps above 38 deg and will let you know if we smell any burnt toast...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps10493/C240M3_SFF_SpecSheet.pdf

CAUTION: Use only the thermal grease specified for this server (UCS-CPU-GREASE2=). Thermal grease for other systems may have different thermal conductivity properties and may cause overheating if used in the C240 M3 server. DO NOT use thermal grease available for purchase at any commercial electronics store. If these instructions are not followed, the CPU may overheat and be destroyed.

It is stupid enough Cisco not labelling them with the part number, but even more baffling that the manufacturer puts www.microsi.com on the side, but not its part number either.

www.microsi.com/ThermalGrease.aspx

HI David,

I have had another vote from our UCS Vendor for UCS-CPU-GREASE2= being the blue cap. So you are probably right that it is the blue one.

I have other servers to prepare in the meantime before I have to install this cpu/heatsink, so hopefully my SMARTnet access will start in the next day or two and I can get the Tac to tell me what to use so it is not my fault if it is the wrong one. To be honest, I expect either is fine as long as it is applied correctly, but I also want the assurance of having a tac case telling me which one to use.

Thanks and I will mark your answer as correct.

Regards,

Anthony

edit: this post should be disregarded since the vendor was wrong about the cap color.

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just so its official...

The red capped is for C220 and C240 M3s only, whereas the blue cap is for all other servers. 

You might want to correct the above information as its incorrect.  We've started labelling the grease syringes with the platform they belong with - until then please use informaiton here.

Regards,

Robert

More clarification:  This is the official answer from the PM that manages this.  In addition labels are being added to the Bill of Materials for these parts to help avoid confusion in the future but this can take time to make happen and I'm not sure if existing stock will be reworked to have the labels added.

Mike

Edit:  And the blue cap is for all other servers without a thermal pad.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-b-series-blade-servers/B200M3_SpecSheet.pdf

CAUTION: Use only the thermal grease specified for this server
(UCS-CPU-GREASE=). This thermal grease comes in a blue-tipped syringe and is to be used in all servers except the C220 M3 and C240 M3 servers, which use thermal grease in a red-tipped syringe (UCS-CPU-GREASE2=). Thermal grease in the red-tipped syringe is only to be used for the C220 M3 and C240 M3 servers and hasdifferent thermal conductivity properties, which may cause overheating if used in the B200 M3 server.
Likewise, thermal grease in the blue-tipped syringe is only to be used for
all UCS servers other than the C220 M3 and C240 M3 (such as the B200 M3
server) and has different thermal conductivity properties, which may cause overheating if used in the C220 M3 and C240 M3 servers.
DO NOT use thermal grease available for purchase at any commercial electronics store. If these instructions are not followed, the CPU may overheat and be destroyed.

Hi Ralph,

Looks like the documentation has caught up and has clarified the situation. Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Anthony

Thank you all for clarifying the situation.

Regards,

Anthony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: