Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESX Vnic does not go down when FI server uplink is disabled

Hi,

We are currently testing a new infrastructure and are having this issue:

On one ucs when we disable a FI server uplink to simulate a network failure, the underlying ESX host keep the Vnic connection live and does not fail over ot the other connection.

we have this issue with only one ucs the others does not create this behavior. Failover occures normaly.

we have a network policy configures with the Action on uplink fail set to link down.

any id would help.

Thanks

Stephane Beausoleil

SysAdmin senior / Équipe Virtualisation

CGI       

Stephane Beausoleil

virtualisation architect

CGI
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Stephan,

If I am understanding correctly, you are removing/disabling a port going from the IOM to the FI?  OR from the FI to the upstream switch?

If from the FI to the IOM = in the Chassis Discovery Policy, do you have Port Channel enabled?

If from the FI to the upstream Switch:  Is there any other uplink in the same FI?  Is there any Static Pinning applied?

-Kenny

View solution in original post

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Stephane,

Is the vNICs for this host ( blade )  configured for Fabric Failover in service profile ?

If Fabric Failover is enabled for vNICs, UCSM / FI handles the network failures as the fault is not visible to the OS layer.

Padma

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Stephan,

If I am understanding correctly, you are removing/disabling a port going from the IOM to the FI?  OR from the FI to the upstream switch?

If from the FI to the IOM = in the Chassis Discovery Policy, do you have Port Channel enabled?

If from the FI to the upstream Switch:  Is there any other uplink in the same FI?  Is there any Static Pinning applied?

-Kenny

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Stephane,

Is the vNICs for this host ( blade )  configured for Fabric Failover in service profile ?

If Fabric Failover is enabled for vNICs, UCSM / FI handles the network failures as the fault is not visible to the OS layer.

Padma

Thanks I check out the policy and it was there.

And I just found the issue.

We had a failed FI that was exchange by Cisco and after the replacment the switch was left in End-Host Mode.

So thats why the fault never showed up.

Thanks all for the good answers it did help found out the issue.

Stephane Beausoleil

SysAdmin senior / Équipe Virtualisation

CGI

Stephane Beausoleil

virtualisation architect

CGI

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card