Views
Helpful
Replies

ESXi host connection

kshahfari
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a UCS 5108 chassis with two B200 M3 server blades and FabricInterconnect 6248 (no expansion module) with 2.2(1d) version running. I have installed ESXi 5.1 on both blades. Now I can add one of the ESX host to my vCenter, but the other one is not accessable even not responding to ping.

I have compare the configuration on both blade and I couldn't find anything. Please let me know if you have any experience with this.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If native vlan is not selected, did you specify vlan in the ESXi configuration ?

The following combinations work

native vlan selected -- no vlan specified in ESXi

no native vlan selelcted -- vlan specified in ESXi

Therefore the remark on the screenshot (vlan optional) is very misleading; in the latter case it is actually mandatory

Did you install ESXi on the local disk ?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kshahfari,

Are these two servers using the same service profile?

Verify that the vnic(s) of the server that doesn't  respond to pings have the proper vlan information.

Hi manvelas,

No each one has its own service profile. they are all in default vlan 1.

Compare, each vlan on both profiles and make sure they have the same configuration, pay attention to the Native Vlan box (see native_vlan screenshot).

Now on you ESXi host   make sure you have the correct setting for the vlan configuration and ip. (See ESXi_vlan) screenshot

They both are on vLAN 1 with native_vlan box unchecked.

I also checked the ESXi hosts and they have same setting for the vlan and each has it's own ip addresses.

Still no luck!

Try to decommission  and re-ack the server that is not working.  Decommissioning the server will reboot it, so power off the esxi server first.

Also are these servers booting of a SAN or local

decommission and re-ack didn't help.

servers are booting of local.

Have you tried to swap the service profiles between these two blades to check if the issue follows the blade or the service profile configuration?

If native vlan is not selected, did you specify vlan in the ESXi configuration ?

The following combinations work

native vlan selected -- no vlan specified in ESXi

no native vlan selelcted -- vlan specified in ESXi

Therefore the remark on the screenshot (vlan optional) is very misleading; in the latter case it is actually mandatory

Did you install ESXi on the local disk ?

Hi wdey,

first combination worked. ESXi had vlan configured to default (1), but after taking that out I can add it to vCenter.

Only issue is after I swapped back the service profile, ESXi gets back to the vlan 1. does that mean everytime that server gets reboot it I will get same issue?

Hi manvelas,

swapping service profile didn't help.

What do you mean?  Do you mean that after you swap the service profiles the same blades still have the same problem?

If after swapping the service profiles, the same blades has the same problem, it means that the issue is related with the Blade/adapter or the OS/configuration installed this blade.

In the firmware on both of this blades at the same level (see share some screenshots)

I mean after I swapped the service profile. same IP address of ESXi host was accessiable and I was able to add the host to vCenter, where the other one wasn't. but after I check the native vlan on the server and took out the vLAN on ESXi host it worked. and both servers now added to my vCenter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card