Views
Helpful
Replies

ESXi vmnics connected at 20000Mb when expecting 40000Mb

Sparke_Helmore
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,
I've got 4 x B200M3 blades running ESXi 5u2 in a single UCS chassis. These run a number of vSwitches, and all of the connected vmnics show 40000 Mb full duplex (as expected). 
Yesterday I added 2 more B200M3's (to slot 7 and 8), and I'm only getting 20000 Mb on all vmnics. The the hosts are configured the same as the old via vCenter (although not using Host Profiles), and the UCS Service Profiles on the new blades are clones from an existing blade. 

See screenshots attached....

Does anyone have some idea of what that could be? Any assistance would be great.

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One more thing, you might be hitting the defect below if you have the same hardware on all of the blades including the two new b200 M3.

You may also see the bandwidth difference if the new cards are missing one of the adapters, it could be the port expander or the 1280 or 1240 vic, then is an expected behavior.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What firmware version does your UCS is running?

It is possible that you servers might be hitting the defect below:

Line-rate in policy limits the vnic speed to 10-G rate for VIC 1240/1280

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCun79957

Please let me know if this helps

Hi manvelas & thanks for the response. 

The UCS Infrastructure firmware version is 2.2(2c), the new blades are running 2.2(1d). The 4 older blades are still running 2.1(1e). 

The 2 new blades have the 1240 VIC (cisco part: UCSB-MLOM-40G-01)

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One more thing, you might be hitting the defect below if you have the same hardware on all of the blades including the two new b200 M3.

You may also see the bandwidth difference if the new cards are missing one of the adapters, it could be the port expander or the 1280 or 1240 vic, then is an expected behavior.

You're spot on manvelas - didn't think to check, but our supplier missed the additional mezz card on these 2 units. The part we're missing to allow 40gb is: Cisco UCS Port Expander Card (mezz) for VIC 1240 modular LOM (Cisco part: UCSB-MLOM-PT-01)

Thanks for your help mate.

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Sparke, If you only have the 1240 VIC adapter installed on these new blades, the 20Gb of bandwidth is expected. If you see in the spec sheet below you will find that with only the 1240 VIC you will only get 20Gb of bandwidth on each port of the adapter. B200 M3 spec sheet http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-b-series-blade-servers/B200M3_SpecSheet.pdf#page52 On page 22 you can can find more about the expected bandwidth with each adapter configuration. Now if you know you have a second adapter installed on these server please take a look at the defect I gave you before. Please let me know if this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card