cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric Interconnect 6296 - add module to running system?

kbyrd
Level 2
Level 2

I'm adding a UCS-FI-E16UP= expansion module to an exisiting operating 6296. I couldn't tell from the installation instructions if this module can be hot inserted into an operating 6296. Can it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

They "should" be but I will need to confirm.  I do know that during a unified port change just the module reboots, and then comes back online (without a whole FI reboot) so my gut says yes they are hot swap.

I've checked all our guides on CCO and don't see a definate answer.   Let me get a firm answer for you, and then get our docs update accordingly.

Edit: Found that the 5500's are hot swap, so the 6200 will be also.  They're based on the same platform.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/hw/installation/guide/overview5500.html

Expansion Modules

Expansion modules allow the Cisco Nexus 5596UP switch to be configured  as cost-effective 10-Gigabit Ethernet switches and as I/O consolidation  platforms with native Fibre Channel connectivity.

The Cisco Nexus 5596UP switch has three slots that can be used for the following optional expansion modules:

16-port  Universal (Fibre Channel and Ethernet) GEM (N55-M16UP) that provides  8-, 4-, 2-, or 1-Gbps Fibre Channel and 1- or 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports

Layer  3 GEMs (N55-M160L3 and N55-M160L3-V2) provide 160 Gbps of Layer 3  services. The N55-M160L3-V2 uses a newer version of the Layer 3 ASIC  that enables higher table sizes in a future software release from 8K  host entries to 16K host entries or from 4K multicast routes to 8K  multicast routes (IPv4).

You can hot swap the expansion modules during operations.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

They "should" be but I will need to confirm.  I do know that during a unified port change just the module reboots, and then comes back online (without a whole FI reboot) so my gut says yes they are hot swap.

I've checked all our guides on CCO and don't see a definate answer.   Let me get a firm answer for you, and then get our docs update accordingly.

Edit: Found that the 5500's are hot swap, so the 6200 will be also.  They're based on the same platform.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/hw/installation/guide/overview5500.html

Expansion Modules

Expansion modules allow the Cisco Nexus 5596UP switch to be configured  as cost-effective 10-Gigabit Ethernet switches and as I/O consolidation  platforms with native Fibre Channel connectivity.

The Cisco Nexus 5596UP switch has three slots that can be used for the following optional expansion modules:

16-port  Universal (Fibre Channel and Ethernet) GEM (N55-M16UP) that provides  8-, 4-, 2-, or 1-Gbps Fibre Channel and 1- or 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports

Layer  3 GEMs (N55-M160L3 and N55-M160L3-V2) provide 160 Gbps of Layer 3  services. The N55-M160L3-V2 uses a newer version of the Layer 3 ASIC  that enables higher table sizes in a future software release from 8K  host entries to 16K host entries or from 4K multicast routes to 8K  multicast routes (IPv4).

You can hot swap the expansion modules during operations.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert. I just inserted them and they are recognized under UCS Manager. Version is 2.0(3a) by the way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card