cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Half of blades were down when a new uplink port-channel was created?

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

I have a pair of 6248UP fiber interconnect (A and B) with blade servers connected. The upstream switch is Nexus7k. Right now Fabric A and B each has a uplink port-channel to the upstream Nexus switch. I'm adding a new Nexus switch to connect to the fiber interconnect. The plan is to have some VLAN's uplink to one Nexus switch and some VLAN's uplink to the second Nexus switch.

After I configured the new Nexus switch with a port-channel (only allowing some VLAN's), and created matching port-channel on Fabric A and B, new port-channels were up. However half of the blade servers were down after that. What could be the reasons for this problem? Is it because half of the blades were dynamically pinned to the new port-channel but the new port-channel on the Nexus side only allow some VLAN's?

Is there a way to configure the port-channels on fiber interconnect to only trunk through some VLAN's? so server traffic would not be sent to the port-channel where the server's VLAN is not allowed?

Thanks                    

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In general, all vnics/vhba's of a fabric are down, if all the uplinks of this fabric are down.

It is not clear to me, what you try to achieve ?

If you create a global vlan (for both fabrics), this vlan's are automatically inserted in all the North bound trunk links, unless you configure a disjoint setup

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns944/white_paper_c11-692008.html)

Creating a new vlan on UCS requires of course also, that this vlan is created on the connecting switch, and vpc by default allows all vlans. Could it be, that the vlan was not created on the switch, and therefore was not up on the trunk ?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In general, all vnics/vhba's of a fabric are down, if all the uplinks of this fabric are down.

It is not clear to me, what you try to achieve ?

If you create a global vlan (for both fabrics), this vlan's are automatically inserted in all the North bound trunk links, unless you configure a disjoint setup

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns944/white_paper_c11-692008.html)

Creating a new vlan on UCS requires of course also, that this vlan is created on the connecting switch, and vpc by default allows all vlans. Could it be, that the vlan was not created on the switch, and therefore was not up on the trunk ?

Thanks a lot. I think you answered what I was looking for. I need to configure disjoint upstream. The reason for this is I have some VM instances on the UCS in one set of vlans and some other VM's in another set of vlans. The two sets of vlans will go through different upstream security devices.

When I first configured the new port-channels to UCS, I didn't tie them to a set of vlans. So maybe half of the VM, reagardless of vlans, had traffic sent to that new port-channel. Because the new switch was fully not in the network yet. The traffic really had nowhere to go after that. So those VM's were seen as down.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card