Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Host connectivity to 2 different Arrays/Fabrics

Hello,

I have a UCS environment with 2 vHBAs/Blade connected to EMC CLARiiON, with VSAN 100. We're migrating from CLARiiON to VMAX and at the same time we're migrating from old MDS switches to new MDS switches.

Requirement is I would like to connect 2 FC uplinks connecting to old Fabric talking to EMC CLARiiON and 2 FC uplinks connecting to new Fabric talking to EMC VMAX.

I am retaining same VSAN on both the switches(old and new) (VSAN 100), this is a requirment due to HP-UX server in the environment. So can the same vHBA log on to 2 different Fabrics?

Please let me know.

/Rags               

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Let me know if you have any questions or accept the post if you found what you were looking for

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Raqhavendra,

So can the same vHBA log on to 2 different Fabrics?

It is not possible for the same vHBA to log into two different san switches (MDSs) at the same time, every vhba gets attached only to a single uplink or a porchannel depending on your configuration. It is not possible for a vhba be attached to two different fc port channels or uplinks connected to two different san switches at the same time.

In the other hand, it is possible for a SAN switch to be connected to two different storage arrays and zone it in a way that a vhba can see both storage arrays with a single SAN switch (MDS)

Not only that this is not a supported configuration on UCS.

Thank you for confirming. Also wanted to know what if I configure 2 new vHBAs to every blades and provision storage from target array and perform migration? Would this work? Adding new vHBAs to blades require a reboot right?

Thanks again!

/Rags 

Do you mean using both SAN switches?

if this is the case, It is possible but you would have to make sure that you statically pin the new vhbas to proper uplinks to make sure they use these to send and receive traffic.

Adding new vHBAs to blades require a reboot right?

Yes, it will be require for the blades to reboot for the change to take effect.

Let me know if this answers your questions

Perfect. Thank you!

Could you please eloborate about on how statically I can pin new vHBAs to FC uplinks? Lets say currently port 29-32 is connected to old Fabric and I connect ports 25-28 new Fabric, then create 2 new vHBAs/blade.

Thanks again!!

Thanks a lot for quick response. I believe I need to create a FC port channel group, create a San pin group and associate it to a respective vHBA template right?

Thanks again!!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

That is correct.

Let me know if you have any questions or accept the post if you found what you were looking for

Thank you! Infact I implemented this today and worked as we discussed above. Thanks a ton.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card