cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to access UCS CLI w/o disrupting Guest OS?

eforstoffer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UCS box where the CIMC port went down for one reason or another. I would like to boot that port via CLI via local access. However, I only can access the Windows OS that is running on it. I was wondering if there are any tricks I can do.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Try resetting the CIMC from, Equipment, Chassis, Server, Recover Server action link

View solution in original post

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume this is a C-Series server and not B-Series?

What do you elaborate on "the CIMC port went down".  Are you saying the previously configured IP address is no longer accessible?

Does the upstream switch see the port as Up?

If you can't access the CIMC, you can't reboot it. 

If you can ping the CIMC IP still but just not access the Web Interface, then ssh/telnet to the CIMC IP and issue the following command:

ucs-c210-m2# scope cimc

ucs-c210-m2 /cimc # reboot

This operation will reboot the CIMC.

Continue?[y|N]y

See if you regain access after that. 

If you can't telnet/ssh either, then you're out of luck and will need to shutdown the guest OS, pull the power to the server in order to reset the CIMC manually.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Try resetting the CIMC from, Equipment, Chassis, Server, Recover Server action link

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume this is a C-Series server and not B-Series?

What do you elaborate on "the CIMC port went down".  Are you saying the previously configured IP address is no longer accessible?

Does the upstream switch see the port as Up?

If you can't access the CIMC, you can't reboot it. 

If you can ping the CIMC IP still but just not access the Web Interface, then ssh/telnet to the CIMC IP and issue the following command:

ucs-c210-m2# scope cimc

ucs-c210-m2 /cimc # reboot

This operation will reboot the CIMC.

Continue?[y|N]y

See if you regain access after that. 

If you can't telnet/ssh either, then you're out of luck and will need to shutdown the guest OS, pull the power to the server in order to reset the CIMC manually.

Regards,

Robert

Sorry, I failed to mention this is a C200. I can not ping the IP assigned to the CIMC, so I can not SSH. The port on the switch is up/up. The CIMC port on the C200 is amber.

It does look like I need to power cycle the entire server. Oh well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card