Views
Helpful
Replies

how to delete cimc local user?

tbsky
Level 1
Level 1

hi:

I login to cisco cimc via browser and try to create some local users. later I want to delete these users and can not find how. the document only mention how to add user and modify their rules / passwords, but it didn't tell how to remove old users.

my cimc version is 1.43k. thanks a lot for help!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I will open an enhancement request to add a "delete" functionality.   It may be some time until it's prioritized into a release.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

Hello Tbsky,

Thank you for the feedback. We do have an enhancement request in the pipeline that will allow administrators to clear user data for disabled accounts in the Cisco IMC. This enhancement will be largely cosmetic as users that are not enabled do not have the ability to login to the system. At present we do not have plans to 'Add' or 'Delete' a user entirely because this is part of the CIMC model where 15 users are pre defined and addition/removal of users would need to be done in the model itself. I suspect that we are largely talking semantics here as Enabling and Disabling a user have the same effect as what you have described as Add and Remove - where we are investigating the option of clearing existing data for disabled accounts.

At present, the process that Robert outlined in his post will allow you to disable user accounts and you do have the ability to re-name a user account fields to something more generic to indicate an unused user account. Thank you for your feedback!

Jeff

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jeffrey Foster
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

In this case you only need to disable the user account. To disable a user in the WebUI, navigate to the "Admin --> User Management --> Local Users" Tab and de-select the 'Enabled' checkbox for the user(s) you want to disable. The username(s) will still be present in the Local User Table, but account(s) will not be able to login to the Cisco IMC using these credentials.

Jeff Foster

Technical Marketing Engineer

hi Jeffrey:

so you mean there is no way to delete users?  I never met such IT system before, that you can only add users, but can not delete them. I think this is a bug . hope it can be fixed in future firmware update.

thanks a lot for your reply!!

Regards,

tbsky

Tbsky,

The system comes with 15 pre-configured User "slots".  They can be assigned a name and then enabled or disabled.  If you don't want to use an account, simply remove the name and disable the account. 

I don't think you're losing any functionality disabling vs. deleting the accounts - its not a bug, but working as designed.

Robert

hi Robert:

what you said was my first thouht. I think: look, there are 15 slots, so I just need to empty the slots I don't need. good design.

then I am surprised that I can not not empty the slots! yes I can rename the username to "trash1", "thash2","trash3" ..... "trash15" and disable all of them.  maybe that's good enough for you.  maybe that's good enough for high school students's programming homework. but I don't think it's good enough for general IT administrators. "add","modify","delete" these are basic UI, even for basic programmers.

and by the way, I didn't find these myself. since I nerver try to create accounts in cimc. one customer ask me about this situation. I feel shame if  I reply him that's the design of cisco.

thank a lot for your reply anyway.

Regards,

tbsky

I will open an enhancement request to add a "delete" functionality.   It may be some time until it's prioritized into a release.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert:

thanks a lot for your kindly help!! now I can reply to my customer.

Regards,

tbsky

Hello Tbsky,

Thank you for the feedback. We do have an enhancement request in the pipeline that will allow administrators to clear user data for disabled accounts in the Cisco IMC. This enhancement will be largely cosmetic as users that are not enabled do not have the ability to login to the system. At present we do not have plans to 'Add' or 'Delete' a user entirely because this is part of the CIMC model where 15 users are pre defined and addition/removal of users would need to be done in the model itself. I suspect that we are largely talking semantics here as Enabling and Disabling a user have the same effect as what you have described as Add and Remove - where we are investigating the option of clearing existing data for disabled accounts.

At present, the process that Robert outlined in his post will allow you to disable user accounts and you do have the ability to re-name a user account fields to something more generic to indicate an unused user account. Thank you for your feedback!

Jeff

hi jeffrey:

thanks for your reply. the model is ok, just don't let users feel strange. maybe you can "hide" the disabled users just like filesystem "hide" the deleted files.

thanks again for your kindly help!!

Regards,

tbsky

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card