Views
Helpful
Replies

HyperFlex HX Data Platform 2.1 and VLAN 1 Issue

Burak Atasal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I've recently deployed a HyperFlex 2.1 with the recommended setup (using different VLANs for all mgmt and data networks) which works perfectly fine. Customer is using some VMs on VLAN1 (I know it's not recommended and should be some other VLAN instead) and changing it kinda hard at the moment. I created a vSwitch port group for VLAN1 on vCenter, i added VLAN1 to vNIC Templates on UCSM and make sure VLAN1 is also on trunk ports between FIs and upstream switch. 

When i put a VM to VLAN1 port-group on vCenter, i can see that VM's MAC address registered to FI's by checking the MAC address table from CLI, same MAC address is also in upstream switch's MAC address table too. But VM can not ping it's default gateway and therefor can not be reached from anywhere. 

I know very well that VLAN1 can not be used during the installation of HX DP but is there anything prevents us to use VLAN1 after the installation? 

All comments are welcomed! 

Cheers!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Clifford Aldan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VLAN 1 is the default native VLAN in a UCS domain

VLAN 1 cannot be pruned out of the FIs

However, it is not automatically added to the vNIC Template vm-network-a and vm-network-b

Add VLAN 1 to both vNIC templates and set is as native if it's the native VLAN on the UCS domain 

In VMware vSphere, when creating the port group, be sure that it does not have any VLANs assigned, i.e. None (0) 

This will ensure that it uses the native VLAN allowed on the vmnics (vmnic4, vmnic5) 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

bezeddin
Level 1
Level 1

@Burak Atasal

Well I don't think you can utilize vlan 1 before or after Hyperflex deployment

Since Cisco do not allow to use vlan 1 (native) for deployment (not secure)

Clifford Aldan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VLAN 1 is the default native VLAN in a UCS domain

VLAN 1 cannot be pruned out of the FIs

However, it is not automatically added to the vNIC Template vm-network-a and vm-network-b

Add VLAN 1 to both vNIC templates and set is as native if it's the native VLAN on the UCS domain 

In VMware vSphere, when creating the port group, be sure that it does not have any VLANs assigned, i.e. None (0) 

This will ensure that it uses the native VLAN allowed on the vmnics (vmnic4, vmnic5) 

Hi Clifford, sorry for the late response but yes, as you said it's possible to use VLAN1 after the installation, it was another network issue that prevented VM to ping it's default gateway but now everything works perfectly fine. Thank you for the explanation. 

You're welcome, Burak

I agree a lot of people miss the native vlan radio button in UCS manager.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card