Views
Helpful
Replies

Import vcenter vm in Cisco HyperFlex

Ricky MxWell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a customer who would like to install cisco hyperflex server (New project). As we all know that, hyperflex cluster requires vcenter vm and hyperflex installer vm (.ova format), on an separate/existing virtualized environment for the provisioning of new HX220 Servers-Cluster, but customer wants the vcenter vm to be installed on hyperflex cluster itself to keep the hyperflex project completely separate from their existing/production vCenter Appliance..

So in order to entertain their request, would it be ok to suggest them following design solution and will Cisco Tac continue to provide support after deployment? 

1. Install a new vm of vCenter Appliance and hyperflex installer on any virtualized platform like workstation/vSphere (should be in same management network as of Hyperflex ESXi management interface)
  2. Complete the hyperflex installation and compete the post installation steps mentioned in getting started and configuration guides.
  3. Shutdown the vcenter vm and export it in OVA format.
  4. Import it in any hyperflex node by accessing the esxi host via thick client and select the option of "I moved it" while powering-on the vcenter VM

As per release notes of 1.7, installation of vCenter vm is not allowed inside the hyperflex Cluster as there isn’t enough space in VMFS datastore to house a vCenter vm , but I am suggesting to import vCenter after the successful installation of Hyperflex and Will Cisco TAC continue to provide support on such design later-on?

Thanks for help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Clifford Aldan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Ricky

Please review the following TechNote: How to Deploy vCenter on the HX Data Platform

Solely, 

Cliff Aldan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If there is not enough space to install it then how can there be enough space to import it?

Hi Philip,

Sorry for understanding it incorrectly as I copied that line from Release notes 1.7.

Actually what it meant was, " before the installation of Hyperflex, there is n't any  valid location within the HX-Series servers that will contain enough usable space in a VMFS datastore to house a vCenter server. as once the software is installed, all of the available disks and space will be fully used by the HyperFlex cluster. Building any virtual machines on the HyperFlex servers prior to installing the HyperFlex HX Data Platform software is therefore not possible, as it will lead to installation failures"..

So in this specific thread, customer has a requirement to host vcenter inside HX-Cluster, which is only possible, after completing the HX-installation and then cisco's supported method to host vcenter vm under. I hope that clarifies the point.

Clifford Aldan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Ricky

Please review the following TechNote: How to Deploy vCenter on the HX Data Platform

Solely, 

Cliff Aldan

Hi Clifford,

Thanks for sharing the information from tech Notes. I knew this process should work as technically its very simple thing to achieve...... but after reading the tech-note, i got the clear idea, what necessary steps (static mac entry in .vmx file fo vcenter vm) needs to taken first to import/deploy the vcenter vm inside the HX-Cluster. More importantly, this procedure is from Cisco and tac team will continue to support the customer later on.!!

Once again, thanks for your help! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: