cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to see SAN luns from the UCS fabric interconnect.

gene092156
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have recently added a 3rd and 4th vHBA to a B440 running RHEL5.

Originally I had 2 vHBAs', and each created a path to 172 luns. (I was multipathed to 172 luns)

Now I have added two additional vHBA's and my SAN admin assures me he has mapped, zoned and masked all 172 luns to the 2 new vHBA's.

So, at this time I should have 4 paths to 172 luns....but I don't.

What I see is 4 paths to 71 luns.

I still see 2 paths to all 172 luns, but only see 4 paths on 71 of them.

Its almost like my SAN admin either mapped or masked only 71 of the 172 luns to my 3rd and 4th path.

Via the RHEL5 OS I have rescaned the FC paths, rebooted, done lsscsi, looked in the lowest level places for what devices are present on my FC channels, always I see 172 devices on the 2 original FC paths and 71 devices on the 2 new FC paths.

My question is....is there a way to see all devices (luns) accociated with an vHBA from the command line in the Fabric Interconnect?

My configuration is UCS w 2 FI's, using 8Gb FC connections to Cisco 9500 directors, to an EMC DMX4.

Thanks in advance,

Gene

3 Replies 3

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

wdey,

The link you supplied in your response is the answer.

You can look at the devices on the FC boot paths, but not while the OS is running.

I have a test server I could reeboot to try what you have in your document, and it does work.

Too bad Cisco could not create a linux util rpm that would allow looking down the fabric while running. Im quit sure emulex has this kind of util, called HBAanywhere...at least for solaris.

In any case, thanks for the link to your article, it was VERY good!

My problem with seeing a shorter list of luns on 2 of my FC paths may get solved this afternoon by a change my SAN admin is going to make.. If it does I will post the fix.

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gene,

Once the OS has booted the communication from the blades to the storage is done by the adapter drivers. Which means that you won't be able to see any LUN info from UCS.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card