cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iSCSI boot

simon.geary
Level 1
Level 1

I'm setting up iSCSI boot for UCS 2.0 and have a query about the 'Set iSCSI Boot Parameters'

page.

When using a service profile template you only seem to be able to enter one initiator name in

the template and that same name is used for all service profiles created from the template. I

would have thought that this needed to be a pooled value? Am I right in thinking you therefore

can't use a service profile template when using iSCSI boot as it will result in all the

initiators being given the same name? Or have I misunderstood how that works?

Also, is there a naming standard we should use for naming initiators, should this follow iqn

conventions or just call it anything?

Thanks

21 Replies 21

Patrick,

You got me stumped for now. I don't recall running into that failure when I was doing all of my testing. It looks like it sees boot tracks, but, can't find the OS on the same disk.

On your NetApp, if you run: igroup show, do you see your iSCSI initiator logged in?

Something like this:

Data ONTAP (cae-sj-netapp2.)

login: root

Password:

cae-sj-netapp2> igroup show

iscsi-palo (iSCSI) (ostype: linux):

eui.87654321deadbeef (not logged in)

iscsi-brdcm (iSCSI) (ostype: linux):

eui.12345678deadbeef (logged in on: e0a)

esxi4u1-palo-igroup (iSCSI) (ostype: vmware):

iqn.2011-09.com.cisco:esxi4u1palo (not logged in)

Dave,

Not too worry... we are moving forward with the FC mode.

We did run igroup show and the initiator was logged on. 

Simon thanks for the images.... In looking over your screen shots I know that we didn't have Native VLAN checked.

Maybe that was our issue

We will wait for 5.0 to be supported and then try again.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Cheers

Patrick

I get the Cisco UCS "Cisco VIC iSCSI, Boot Driver Version 2” + “Initialize error 1" when using 2 iSCSI vNIC's laid over 2 vNICs with Palo M81 cards. If I use 1 iSCSI vNIC laid over a vNIC it works just fine. I am on 2.0(w). Thinking what happens is both cards are trying to login and that screws things up. First works as you see below. I hear from my NetApp friends they have trouble with this also.

Can only one Initiator login to a Target? Will a second logging in kick both Initiators out?

It does appear to work at first

Than get the tragic “Initialize error 1” error! But I do see a initiator logged into Isilon for a while. Then it fails.

With only on iSCSI Initiator all works fine. It is the second that hoses it.

My Boot Profile

Each iSCSI vNIC has the same Initiator ID, and is logging into a different IP on the Isilon x400 (one for each FI, have "no failover" set. Thinking "SAN Like" in my setup. Guess could try different Initiators, one for each iSCSI vNIC and allow each on Target??? Not sure if that is common practice.

Thanks!

Craig

My UCS Blog http://realworlducs.com

Craig,

Try giving each iSCSI Initiator a unique IQN name.  Duplicate IQNs will cause a major issue if/when upgrading to the 2.0(2) Maintenance Release coming out in a week (or two). 

You'll obivously need to mask the additional IQN to your boot LUN on the array also.

Let us know if that works.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the reply!

Created a unique IQN name for each Initiator, and updated the Target authentication to match Isilon side.

Still getting the  "Cisco VIC iSCSI, Boot Driver Version 2” + “Initialize error 1" error.

But the iSCSI Target does no go offline after bootup. So at least on an Isilon multiple Initiators must have unique names.

Looking on my Isilon NAS only one path is active but that is to be expected until after bootup.

Trying to image now (looking good), will reply later with a thumbs up or down if this setup gets along with Winodws 2008R2. 

Craig

If you're still having issues, try this.  Once the host has booted and you see the initialize 1 error message, issue the following commands from the UCSM CLI:

connect adapter x/y/z (chassis/blade/adapter#)

connect

attach-mcp

iscsi_get_config

Post this output.

Thanks,

Robert

Found you can get around this error by creating 1 iSCSI vNIC in Boot Profile. Add two Targets (to same LUN) using the Target IP attached to each FI. Just be sure to enable failover on overlaid vNIC. This is still one Initiator ID but think that is OK. 

We are blue screening on startup as the servers boots, but it almost makes it. Think it is a driver issue. Funny the servers image with SCCM no problem, then don't boot.

Craig

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card