Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues installing a new Cisco UCS 2208XP card in 5508

rickysahni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have today installed a new IO Module into one of our chassis (2208XP into a 5508 Chassis).  But it has not come online.  There are lights on the IO module, however uplinks from that to the FI are down.  The ports on the FI are down.

Error messsages i get are:

On the chassis i get error 'fabric-conn-problem iocard-inaccessible iocard-inoperable'

I have already tried re-acknowledging the chassis but this did not help.  I have checked the chassis discovery policy and it is only set to 1 link.

I have already tried resetting the IO module, this has not made a difference.

I also get error 'end-point-unavailable Code: unspecified Message: no connection to MC endpoint' on the IOM.

Really not sure what else i can check.

This IOM stopped working when we had a power cut in our data centre, we then go an error on the IOM saying 'current connectivity does not match discovery policy or connectivity is not supported: unsupported-connectivity'

any ideas?

8 Replies 8

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Which UCS version ?

how many links between IOM and FI ? are all FI ports server ports ?

did you only install / replace one IOM, or both ? is this a RMA case ?

Hi,

UCS version 2.2(1d)

4 links between IOM and FI.  the 4 FI ports are all configured as server ports.

Only replaced one IOM, the other one is original and all 4 ports working fine (to FI-A).

Yes we had a replacement sent out due to failure of original IOM.

Most likely the firmware of the RMA IOM is not matching; and therefore would have to be updated by the Northbound FI.

Can just try again to remove the iom, waite a few minutes, then reinsert.

Please check as well, before and after

show cluster extended-state; and verify the HA state ?

Yes I will definitely give that a try (need to drive there).

Have looked and firmware of RMA IOM is exactly same as original IOM that is working on the chassis.

Boot-loader version: 2.24

Running version: 2.2(1d)

Package version: 2.2(1d)A

Backup version: 2.2(1b)

Update status: Ready

Startup version: 2.2(1d)

Activate status: Ready

The explanation for this error message can be found in

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ts/faults/reference/ErrMess/UCS_SEMs.html#wp1305607

fltEquipmentIOCardInaccessible

Fault Code:F0478

[side] IOM [chassisId]/[id] ([switchId]) is inaccessible

Explanation

This fault typically occurs because an I/O module has lost connection to the fabric interconnects. In a cluster configuration, the chassis fails over to the other I/O module. For a standalone configuration, the chassis associated with the I/O module loses network connectivity. This is a critical fault because it can result in the loss of network connectivity and disrupt data traffic through the I/O module.

Recommended Action

If you see this fault, take the following actions:

Step 1 If the fault occurs in the Cisco UCS Manager GUI, capture one or more screenshots of the fault message and other related areas.

Step 2 Wait a few minutes to see if the fault clears. This is typically a temporary issue, and can occur after a firmware upgrade.

Step 3 If the above actions did not resolve the issue, execute the show tech-support command and contact Cisco Technical Support.

Fault Details

Severity: critical 

Cause: equipment-inaccessible 

mibFaultCode: 478 

mibFaultName: fltEquipmentIOCardInaccessible 

moClass: equipment:IOCard 

Type: equipment

Hi,

many thanks for your advice.  I assume i do the show tech-support on FI?  Do i need to connect the particular FI or can i do it from HA address?

You can do it with GUI (UCSM, connecting to VIP address) or CLI

and you should create the options, UCS, chassis and IOM (Fex)

Step 5   In the Options area, click one of the following radio buttons:

OptionDescription

ucsm

Saves a file containing technical support data for the entire Cisco UCS domain in the specified directory.

ucsm-mgmt

Saves a file containing technical support data for the Cisco UCS management services, excluding the fabric interconnects, in the specified directory.

chassis

Saves a file containing technical support data for either the CIMCs or I/O modules in a given chassis. When you select this option, Cisco UCS Manager GUI displays the following fields:

• Chassis ID field—The chassis for which you want technical support data.
  • CIMC radio button—Select this option to get CIMC technical support data. To get the data for a single server within the chassis, enter that server's ID in the CIMC ID field. To get the CIMC data for all servers in the chassis, enter all in this field.
  • IOM radio button—Select this option to get I/O module technical support data. To get the data for a single I/O module within the chassis, enter that module's ID in the IOM ID field. To get the data for all I/O modules in the chassis, enter all in this field.

fabric-extender

Saves a file containing technical support data for a fabric extender in the specified directory. When you select this option,Cisco UCS Manager GUI displays the FEX ID field that lets you enter the unique identifier of the FEX for which you want technical support data.

rack-server

Saves a file containing technical support data for a C-Series server to the specified directory. When you select this option, Cisco UCS Manager GUI displays the following fields:

• Rack Server ID field—The unique identifier of the rack server for which you want technical support data.
  • Rack Server Adapter ID field—The unique identifier of the adapter for which you want technical support data. To get the data for all adapters in the server, enter all in this field.

many thanks.  just doing that now

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card