Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Live upgrade UCS 2.0(5a) to 2.1(3a)

Hi Guy's

Previously I have updated my UCS live from 1.3 to 1.4 to 2.0

However now I've read in a article (that I can't find anymore) that there is a issue running 2.1 I/O Modules with 2.0 CIMC Controlles and server BIOS.

Any reassuring thoughts regarding this ?

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES

Fred,

I personally have never read that caveat, what is recommended is to always run the same version on components that use the same firmware bundle, in other words....  For a B series upgrade, you need the Infraestruture bundle (include firmware for Fabric Interconnects, IOMs and UCSM) and also need the Server bundle (which includes the firmware for the CIMC, BIOS and Adapter).

Bottom line, the recommendation is to run exactly the same version for components that use firmware that come from the same bundle BUT,  UCSM 2.1 introduces an enhancement: "Mixed version support (for infra and server bundles firmware) "  wich allows the combination of SOME infraestructure bundles with some server bundles.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html#wp58530 << Look for

"Operational enhancements"

These are the posible configurations I am aware of:

2.1(1f) infrastructure and 2.0(5a)+ server firmware

2.1(2a) infrastructure and 2.1(1f)+ server firmware

I hope that helps.

Rate ALL helpful answers.

-Kenny

Kenny,

Thanks for your reply...

So does this mean that the upgrade form 2.0 to 2.1 is mostly the same as 1.4 to 2.0

By looking at this document, I see that 2.1(3a) bundle software is comatible with 2.0(5a) server firmware.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html#wp152679

Hope I get this correct.

Gr Fred

Fred,

Nice to see that table (I had not seen it), I wil free up some memory

According to the table, 2.0(5) server bundle is compatible with 2.1(3) Infrastructure bundle, if you understood it that way, you are 100% correct.  <<< Thanks for sharing the link with ALL the compatible mix possibles. 

I rated your helpful answer

-Kenny

Views
Helpful
Replies