Views
Helpful
Replies

Management IP Pool

thehxman101
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can explain (as you can see in the attached pic) why IP's in the Management IP Pool have been assigned twice to the same blade...... I have a pool of 18 IP's and they are all assigned. The other chassis will be connected soon...

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As i can make out, you have in your service profile selected the option to pull and IP from the pool.

Select a serivce profile -> right working pannel -> Management IP Address -> is it set to pooled?

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As i can make out, you have in your service profile selected the option to pull and IP from the pool.

Select a serivce profile -> right working pannel -> Management IP Address -> is it set to pooled?

./Abhinav

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Abi is spot on.

HX, you're either using Pooled Management Address at the service profile or the bound parent service profile template level.

Each blade is assigned a CIMC address as soon as its discovered in a UCS domain.  This IP stays static with the blade regardless of any provide associated to it.

The Management IP you can opt to set in the Service Profile is a secondary management IP that will also be assigned to the CIMC however, this one will follow the Service Profile to any blade its associated to.  The main use case for this is WoL (Wake on LAN) and Power Related operations such as VMware DPM (Distributed Power Management).  DPM allows vCenter to shut down unneeded ESX hosts, and then wake them when resources are required.   Since the DPM/WoL IP must definately belong to the correct host, we need to ensure it follows the service profile and not just point to the blade  - since service profiles can be moved to different blades. 

Regards,

Robert

Is it possible to choose that no ip address is assigned to each discovered blade??

I mean that I want to assign an IP from every service profile I create and assign to a blade from a pool of mgmt-ip, but i dont want it to do automatically everytime I plugin a new blade.

Best regards.

Adri

Adrian,

We cannot do that today. As Rob explained, if the pools exists an IP is automatically pulled from the pool as long as the pool exists. What you can do is not create a pool and then statically set the Managment IPs in the Service Profile, but there is no way to have it work with a pool.

I know we have an enhancement file for the what you want, I'm just not sure in which future code it's planned for.

louis

Hello,

Please find the detail in the link below ,hope this will help you regarding your query

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_011011.html

Regards

keshav

Thanks to you two, so what is the purpose of  IP assigned to a Service Profile? I can suppose that this is to get that the MGMT-IP address will follow at the "slot" if i put any other server because of a contingency. Isnt it?

Right now I ask myself if it's possible to delete the MGMT-IP pool and assign manually a static IP address to every Service Profile i have. This way I will get no automatic IP assignment to every server on every chassis. Is this right?

Actually, I have a problem because I have so many chassis on my environment and I dont want to spend all the IPs  in servers I am not using right now.

Again, thanks for your support!!

Adri

Correct.  As I detailed above in some cases the Mgmt IP is used for WoL/DPM functionality and this out of band IP needs to follow the blade.

The Management IP pool is mandatory.  This IP lives with the blade for the life of its discovered life within the UCS domain.  As for the SP-assigned Management IP, this is strictly optional.

Unfortunately, you need at min. 1 IP per blade in each chassis.  As soon as blades are discovered they pull an IP so you're able to manage them via KVM etc.  If you really don't want them to pull an IP, the only other option is to decomission the blades, which should reliquinshuish the server's management IP.  When you're ready to use the blade, just re-commision the server.

Regards,

Robert

Robert

Is the secondary management IP on service profile has to be on same subnet as FI management IP?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card