cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management vlan with the 1000V and UCS

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

If I want to use VLAN 10 for management, I would have to configure the following:

1000V -VM vEthernet port profile access port with VLAN 10, Ethernet uplink profile includes VLAN 10

UCS - vNIC in Service Profile, include VLAN 10, and include VLAN 10 in uplink trunk from UCS

Upstream switch: Include VLAN 10 in trunk port.

OK?

Now, this management VLAN, can I Iuse this for everything? I mean for 1000V management VLAN, vSPhere management, FI management and switch management? Or should for instance the 1000V management be different from the others?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Atle,

Yes, what you have mentioned is the correct in terms of activities you need to carry out. However i would like to add a few:

1) define the vlan on the UCS - unless you do this you will not be able to add it to the vnic. Plus once you have the vlan defined it will automatiaclly get added to the trunk list on the uplinks ports (unless you l2-disjoint configured)

You can have the same vlan for all the management, unless you have certain traffic you would not like certain device to see / reach.

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Atle,

Yes, what you have mentioned is the correct in terms of activities you need to carry out. However i would like to add a few:

1) define the vlan on the UCS - unless you do this you will not be able to add it to the vnic. Plus once you have the vlan defined it will automatiaclly get added to the trunk list on the uplinks ports (unless you l2-disjoint configured)

You can have the same vlan for all the management, unless you have certain traffic you would not like certain device to see / reach.

./Abhinav

yes, thanks for your answer. I forgot to mention to define the vlans.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card