cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max distance, fabric interconnects and rack mount servers?

hendersond
Level 1
Level 1

I am a bit of a newbie to UCS but getting up to speed quickly. We are considering the UCS solution for an upcoming infrastructure upgrade. I have a main data closet that would house UCS with two fabric interconnects and two chassis with several servers in each chassis. This will run our current vSphere deployment and allow us to make the jump into VDI.

Across campus I have a disaster recovery site and I mirror all the data from the Netapp filers in my main data site to my filers in the DR site. Right now I have an older rack mount server in my DR site also running vSphere. Once the project is complete I anticipate having three rack mount servers in this location with one running vSphere and two others running part of my backup solution. Yes, best practice dictates that two of the three servers that run my backup solution should be physical not virtual.

What I would like is a single point of management with the fabric interconnects in my main site connected to the three UCS rack mount servers in my DR site. The distance between these two sites is 940m (3,083ft) and I have 12 strands of single mode fiber running between these two sites.

• Will this work if I use fiber to copper converters?
  • Is it a supported configuration?
  • Do I need other hardward in my DR site besides the servers to pull this off?
  • If not, what is the distance limitation and will this change in the next 6 months?
1 Reply 1

Daniel Laden
Level 4
Level 4

I am assuming by having a single point of management of the B-Series and C-Series, you would be integrating the C-Series servers into UCS.  The fiber distance is too great between your locations.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/switch/install/overview.html#wp1219491

The maximum length of fiber optic runs is limited  to 300 meters. This is imposed by our use of 802.3X/802.1Qbb Priority  Pauses. SFP-10G-LR is supported between fabric interconnect and  I/O  Module, but the 300m limit still applies.

HTH,

Dan Laden

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card