Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Service Profile from V1 to V2 CPU

Hello All!

I am looking to introduce some B200-M3 V2 CPU servers into our estate. Would it be possible to move a service profile attached to a server with a V1 CPU to a V2 CPU? Or would profiles need to move only to like for like configurations?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi Ryan,One thing to note

Hi Ryan,

One thing to note with v2 CPUs is that they require a minimum firmware to work properly with UCSM.  If you are not meeting this minimum require you might seen issue where the UCSM is not able to identify the type of processor and  you will see FRU errors.   I believe all of the v2 CPUs require a minimum firmware of 2.1(3), you can confirm this on the release notes below on table 4

Release notes 2.1 (table 4)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html

Now with respect to your original question, YES it is possible to use the service profile from a V1 CPU into a V2 CPU blade.  The only thing you want to make sure is that in the service profile you do not have a "host firmware package" that downgrades the firmware of the blade to an unsupported version.  If you donwgrade the firmware of a v2 cpu blade the server won't be discover until you upgrade the firmware to a supported version.

Please let me know if this helps.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Ryan,One thing to note

Hi Ryan,

One thing to note with v2 CPUs is that they require a minimum firmware to work properly with UCSM.  If you are not meeting this minimum require you might seen issue where the UCSM is not able to identify the type of processor and  you will see FRU errors.   I believe all of the v2 CPUs require a minimum firmware of 2.1(3), you can confirm this on the release notes below on table 4

Release notes 2.1 (table 4)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html

Now with respect to your original question, YES it is possible to use the service profile from a V1 CPU into a V2 CPU blade.  The only thing you want to make sure is that in the service profile you do not have a "host firmware package" that downgrades the firmware of the blade to an unsupported version.  If you donwgrade the firmware of a v2 cpu blade the server won't be discover until you upgrade the firmware to a supported version.

Please let me know if this helps.

If we answer your question,

If we answer your question, please mark the question as "answered", that will help us keep track of unanswered questions.

Please let us know if you still have doubts and please, don't forget to rate Manuel's answer smiley

-Kenny

Thanks for the reply. We are

Thanks for the reply.

We are running version 2.1(3b) so should be fine to proceed with these CPU's. All our servers are also set to use the global default firmware bundle of 2.1 (3b) so any new additions will also have this applied.

Many Thanks,

Ryan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content