Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Nexus 1000V: recommended number of uplink port-profiles

Hi,

I am investigating a migration from the VMware vDS to the Nexus 1000V - is there a recommendation for the how many uplink port-profiles (port-profile type ethernet) there should be?

The current VMware vDS has two uplink ports, with one pNIC from each host in each.

If I create two Nexus 1000V port-profiles to match this, as follows:

port-profile type ethernet uplink1

vmware port-group

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan n

no shutdown

system vlan n

state enabled

port-profile type ethernet uplink2

vmware port-group

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan n

no shutdown

system vlan n

state enabled

Then add one NIC from a host to each, I receive the following error:

%VEM_MGR-SLOT3-2-VEM_SYSLOG_CRIT: VLAN_MISCONFIG : Eth3/1 and Eth3/2 are carrying vlans [n]. Configure a port-channel on a port-profile carrying multiple uplinks on the same VEM to avoid network loops. (Ignore if any of these ports are configured as local SPAN destination)

I presume this could be avoided by using 'channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning' on the port-profiles - my questions are:

- Is it necessary to have multiple port-profiles in a port-channel or can one host have two uplinks in a single ethernet port-profile?

- If a single port-profile is recommended - does this mean one is required per host?

- If multiple port-profiles & port-channels are recommended - is this still on a per-host basis or could multiple hosts be added to the same uplink port-profiles?

Thanks

J

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You can use one Ethernet port-profile with a channel-group command (like 'channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning') and assign it to all the vmnic interfaces that need to carry the same set of VLANs

The same port-profile can be used on other hosts too. The N1k would automatically bundle (port-channel) the interfaces that belong to the same ESX host (accomplished through the 'channel-group auto' command)

If you need the interfaces to carry separate sets of VLANs, then you need a different port-profile.

Port-profile is just a container for a common set of configuration that you can apply for multiple interfaces across multiple hosts.

Thanks,

Shankar

Cisco Employee

Views
Helpful
Replies