cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7010 Code upgrade 4.2.6 vs 5.x

patelvc7601
Level 1
Level 1

We  are currently running 4.2.3 On Nexus 7010 & we have two major incident ( Software related bug & Hardware crash ) as well. Hardware has been replaced. We are planning to upgrade to the New code on this platform. I am looking for Generic guideline on which code that I need to upgrade. Unlike 6500 Cisco does not have a Safe harbor for Nexus 7000 platform. I know that there is not a right or wrong answer but I wanted to some input & Users experience in Production Environment.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alan.ambers
Level 1
Level 1

We upgraded to 5.0(3) in August of this year before we went live into production.  So far, no problems.

I took the extra time for the EPLD updates for all of the line cards.  I don't remember what version of 4.x we were on, but I'm sure you will have those on any change from version 4.x to 5.0(3).  Since we were not in production and we only have a single supervisor I couldn't do a ISSU.

5.0(3) came out on 7/25

BIOS:      version 3.22.0
  loader:    version N/A
  kickstart: version 5.0(3)
  system:    version 5.0(3)

I see they have a few newer versions:

5.1(1) released on 10/25

5.1(1a) release on 11/5 (though 5.1(1) isn't defered so I wonder why so quick.

Best of luck.

/alan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

alan.ambers
Level 1
Level 1

We upgraded to 5.0(3) in August of this year before we went live into production.  So far, no problems.

I took the extra time for the EPLD updates for all of the line cards.  I don't remember what version of 4.x we were on, but I'm sure you will have those on any change from version 4.x to 5.0(3).  Since we were not in production and we only have a single supervisor I couldn't do a ISSU.

5.0(3) came out on 7/25

BIOS:      version 3.22.0
  loader:    version N/A
  kickstart: version 5.0(3)
  system:    version 5.0(3)

I see they have a few newer versions:

5.1(1) released on 10/25

5.1(1a) release on 11/5 (though 5.1(1) isn't defered so I wonder why so quick.

Best of luck.

/alan

thank Alan ,

Do you have any estimate time it took for EPLD ?

Ultimatly it was probably 2+ hours.  Maybe a little less.  to upload the code (system and kickstart), I used FTP since my 3com tftp server and the 7010 kept on failing.

We also only have 5 cards, one supervisor, two 48 port gig cards and two 32 port 10gig cards.  Also, you need to upgrade the fans (weird, but I remember that) and the fabric (which makes sense.).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card