cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Hard Pinning Target Missing or Misconfigured" - Fault Seen

skumar7193
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 250 M2 blade with 6 vnics, first 3 on Mez 1 and Next 3 on Mez 2. I get this fault, major in severity,  "Hard Pinning Target missing or mis-configured" for all 6 vnics.

When I have just 2 vnics, no issues. It may be a co-incidence but I can repeatedly get to fail on more than 2 vnics. Never tried with 2 nics more than once, yet.

UCS version is 2.0(1q) - Upgraded from 1.4

Any thoughts? anybody?

8 Replies 8

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Might be obvious, but are you using Pin Groups with this Service Profile associated to your B250?

Might want to verify your pin groups and the vNIC assigment to them.

Regards,

Robert

Sorry, forgot to mention, no pin groups defined.

Do you have a vcon policy defined?

Connect to the UCS CLI and provide the output of:

scope service-profile server x/y (chassis/server)

show fault detail

show detail

show vnic detail

show inventory adapter detail

Thanks,

Robert

I don't have a vcon policy defined. I am using the api to create all this making the placement based on blade type (250 vs 440 etc) programmatically.

If I have to create a placement policy I will via code.

I will provide you the output you requested, shortly as I am running another test

I think I figured it out. I believe there are 2 issues

1. My code is passing down a value of "null" ( by that name) for pin group name,

2. And that is getting assigned to vnics by that name - so UCS api lets you assign a name or policy which is not even created/present.

The workaround is to manually set the pingroup to , and that will clear the fault. This is not happenning for 2 vnics scenario.

Thanks for the follow up.  I was thinking along those lines when you mentioned using an API to create the profiles.

Glad you worked it out.

Regards,

Robert

I have the same error across all my blades in one site, we do have pin groups and  use updating vnic templates.  I have checked that the vnic templates,  and the vnics in the service profiles in question all have the proper  values for pin group. they are not null/blank/or not set.  I also confirmed the pin group configuration to the right port channels.  We  are also on 2.0(2q).  Any ideas? 

agonza07
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into the same problem, but I had the PIN groups defined. Turns out that while I was deleting and adding PIN groups and NICs they somehow got dissassociated. If you click on the link under the fault it'll take you to the vNIC in question and then you set it to "not set"

Just trying to post my findings since in my case it seems a little different than yours. When I googled the error I only got this post. The vNIC that had the null reference was not even in my SP. I guess it just still had some kind of reference to it from a previous SP or something.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card