cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Relocating blade from Chassis to Chassis

5nreeves
Level 1
Level 1

If I wanted to shuffle some blades around from Chassis to Chassis in the same domain, but leave the server in-tact IE don't reprovision, format drives, etc.. simply a shutdown/move/power-up scenario. I've though through a few scenarios but I'm not sure which will behave like I want.

Thank you in advance!

Nick

3 Replies 3

anikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nick,

If you are trying to just physically move the servers from one chassis to another and you want to keep the same Service Profile then this is quite simple.

First, determine the new slot that you want to move the server to. Be sure that this new slot that you are moving to does not already have a Service Profile assigned to it.  If it does, un associate it. Then assign the previous Service Profile from the Old Chassis and slot to the new Chassis and slot.

This will ensure that the server (drive info) will not be overwritten because you are using the same SP on a different slot.

So does this sound correct step for step?  Confirm no previous SP exists on the DESTINATION slot, Power down the server and remove from chassis, use the Change SP profile associate function to pre-select the DESTINATION slot, and then plug it in to the chosen slot?

That is exactly correct

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card