Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace HDD in UCS-B2x

o_unzueta
Level 1
Level 1

We have a UCS with B200 blades.

One of the HDD has led in STATIC AMBER, (this is a HDD Failure acording to the documentation), but the UCS manager did no show any alert.

My first question is.... Should i see any alert in the UCS Manager? do i have to turn on any kind of monitoring for the HDD??

The HDD was mirrored with RAID 1, so why decided to install a replacement.

We extracted the faulty HDD and  inserted a new one (Because they are Hot Swap we did this with the server on).

But now the UCS Manager is showing the HDD as a UNKNOWN Disk, so it did not recognise it

We restarted the server with no luck.

Do i have to do any kind of procedure for the UCS to recognise the new disk and reconstruct the RAID 1 mirror????

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

What firmware version are you running?

In versions before 2.0 we had very limited HDD monitoring and reporting features. Also the UNKNOWN status of the driver after installing the new one is due to a known bug in the 1.4 or prior releases.

If you see the normal LEDs on the drive then you know the re-build is done, you can also reboot the blade and get into the LSI option ROM and verify the status of the drivers.

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

You can re-ack it from the GUI by selecting the blade in the  equipment tab. Please note: this will reboot the blade, so you may want a  MW for it.

Check for the LEDs phyiscall or isntall the tools to  verify the re-build is complete.

The upgrade decision i  would leave it to you, since it needs some planning etc.

FYI: here is the bug for the unknown disk issue;

CSCsy80888     After removal-insertion of the Local Disk, its full discovery fails.

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

What firmware version are you running?

In versions before 2.0 we had very limited HDD monitoring and reporting features. Also the UNKNOWN status of the driver after installing the new one is due to a known bug in the 1.4 or prior releases.

If you see the normal LEDs on the drive then you know the re-build is done, you can also reboot the blade and get into the LSI option ROM and verify the status of the drivers.

./Abhinav

e.nieuwstad
Level 1
Level 1

You can also install the LSI drivers in the OS to check the status of the re-build. Normally a reboot should fix the unknown issue as hardware is only identified during post. At least in the 2.0 installation I have seen.

reboot only will not fix the unknown bug (if its per the bug) you need to re-ack the blade for it to show up fine.

./Abhinav

How do i re-ack the blade?? do i have to fisicaly remove it, or i can re-ack in the manager???

Do i have the risk of loosing the information in the first HDD in the RAID reconstruction??

Or its a beter option if i upgrade the system first??? (I do have 1.4 version).

Thank again

You can re-ack it from the GUI by selecting the blade in the  equipment tab. Please note: this will reboot the blade, so you may want a  MW for it.

Check for the LEDs phyiscall or isntall the tools to  verify the re-build is complete.

The upgrade decision i  would leave it to you, since it needs some planning etc.

FYI: here is the bug for the unknown disk issue;

CSCsy80888     After removal-insertion of the Local Disk, its full discovery fails.

./Abhinav

Thanks abbharga

It was indeed a the bug, because in the BIOS RAID configuration the HDD is already reconstructed.

I will plan the upgrade to 2.0.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card