cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Ports on Expansion Modules?

John Whites
Level 1
Level 1

So I've seen in Cisco documentation and on some other places that the Expansion modules on the interconnects can NOT be used as server ports for the chasis?

So on a 6296 FI you can only use the fixed ports for downlink/server ports? So that means you could only get like 12 chasis fully connected with 8 per interconnect?

What do people generally use all of that expansion module space for?  I just noticed in the emulator you could configure an expansion port as a server port, is that a bug?

3 Replies 3

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Anoop Tiwari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello John,

Server ports are configurable on both the fixed and expansion module. Server ports are not configurable on the 6100 series fabric interconnect expansion module, but are configurable on the 6200 series fabric interconnect expansion module.

Please refer below link for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.1/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_1_chapter_0110.html#concept_E62AB74B45CB4446839220741434B1DD

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1

Expansion modules allow Cisco UCS 6200 Series Fabric Interconnect to be configured as cost-effective 10-Gigabit Ethernet fabric interconnects and as I/O consolidation platforms with native Fibre Channel connectivity. The Cisco UCS 6248 UP has one slot for an optional expansion module.The Cisco UCS 6296 has three slots for an optional uplink expansion module. The expansion modules are hot swappable. Only the 16-port UCS E16UP expansion module using the small form factor pluggable plus (SFP+) interface is supported. I hope it will help.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/6200/install/overview.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card