cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syncing RTC on UCS Blade

Robert Elmes
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to syncronise the RTC on the blade to the chassis it is running in or other NTP source?

The NTP settings in the UCSM only seem to keep the chassis time in sync, but the blades are entirely independent.  Within the OS running on any particular blade we can set the NTP client to sync (and update the blades RTC if required), but for some systems it is required that the RTC be correct (or at least sane) at boottime before the network stack of the OS has come up.

Short of having unused blades first associating with a lightweight service profile to boot into a NTP client and sync the clock, then de-associate and re-associate with the required SP I can't see a way around this problem - Unless I've missed something obvious (quite possible :-).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob

4 Replies 4

Manish Tandon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rob

I believe no such provision exists yet for the functionality you require.

The approach you mentioned will work but is indeed an extra step which would be nice to have right out of the box.

I will follow up internally and file an enhancement request if need be.

Thanks

--Manish

Hi!

I have exact the same requirement, and would be happy for an solutions to sync directly between UCS and Blade Server.

Thx

Harry

Harry

The enhancement request has already been filed (CSCtj19497) -if you query it using the Software Bug Toolkit it will show the status (as assigned) and

the details only viewable to Cisco employees but you should be able to set email notifications on it.

The plan is to have this functionality sometime in the 1HCY2011.

Thanks

--Manish

Bug updated as fixed.  Hopefully the release won't be to far off!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card