Views
Helpful
Replies

ucs 2.0 san boot question

Tejas Kunte
Level 1
Level 1

i recently deployed UCS 2.0(1s) and have run into a problem doing SAN boot ESX

when i power on the blade, i see the connections in my fiber channel switch but dont see any host connections in my EMC VNX SAN

the error message i see on the blade is "select proper boot device" i have verified my boot policy is right ?

anything obvious i am missing  ?

5 Replies 5

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tejas,

We are going to need some further details to help narrow down the problem.

1) Was this Boot from SAN working previously for the ESX blade, you then upgraded to 2.0(1s) and are now having the issue?

or

Is this a new Boot from SAN setup on 2.0(1s)?

2) You mentioned that you can see the WWPN of your blade in your Fiber Channel switch.  Have you verified that the WWPN of the EMC VNX is also visible in your Fiber Channel switch?

3) Have you checked your zoning configuration on the  Fiber Channel switch, ensuring that the WWPN of your blade is permitted  to communicate with the EMC VNX storage array?

4) Have you also checked your LUN masking on the EMC  storage array? Ensure that you have configured the storage group to  allow the WWPN access to the LUN

5) Depending on if the  array is active/active or active/passive, it is also important to  verify which storage processor currently owns the LUN and ensure that  the vHBA communication is hitting the appropriate storage processor

6) Generally most operating systems will boot from LUN  ID 0. So you can compare the presented LUN ID in EMC to what you  configured in your UCSM Boot policy

7) Also ensure that you have correctly configured the order of your Boot from SAN targets (primary vHBA - primary target, secondary vHBA - primary target, etc...)

Other tips available via the following:

Troubleshooting SAN Boot and SAN Connectivity Issues

Hope that helps. Let me know how you go.

Cheers,

Michael

i never had this working

the fiber switch can see the WWPN of the blade (as NPIV) as well as the VNX SAN

are there any special considerations when using a VNX with the blades ? i.e a specific flare code

Tejas Kunte

I.T. Operations

eClinicalWorks

2 Technology Drive | Westborough, MA 01581

T: 508-836-2700 x10326 | F: 508-836-4466 | <> facebook.png <> twitter.png <> in.png

tejask@eclinicalworks.com | <> www.eclinicalworks.com

This transmission contains confidential information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged and proprietary and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding, or saving them. Thank you.

P Please consider the environment and only print this e-mail if necessary

Hi Tejas,

Seeing that this blade has never worked, this is all the more reason to verify the steps/questions I outlined in my previous response.

Additionally:

- What version of ESX are you trying to SAN Boot?

- It sounds like you are able to install to the LUN and issue happens after the reboot?

- If you can't see the WWPN of the blade in your EMC VNX, it means there is no end to end communication. Verify your zoning configuration

The Cisco support matrix states that the UCS and EMC VNX family are supported.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/interoperability/matrix/Matrix8.html

It does mention what version your Brocade switch should be, however for specific EMC flare code versions, it states to visit EMC's supported configuration information:

http://www.emc.com/products/interoperability/

Lastly, to see the OptionROM installed message during blade boot, ensure that you have disabled quiet boot for the particular blade.

Thanks,

Michael

this is working now...

i had to swap the order of WWNs in my SAN boot policy

i thought that only mattered for Windows , not ESX since it has multipathing enabled by default.

Tejas Kunte

I.T. Operations

eClinicalWorks

2 Technology Drive | Westborough, MA 01581

T: 508-836-2700 x10326 | F: 508-836-4466 | <> facebook.png <> twitter.png <> in.png

tejask@eclinicalworks.com | <> www.eclinicalworks.com

This transmission contains confidential information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged and proprietary and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding, or saving them. Thank you.

P Please consider the environment and only print this e-mail if necessary

Hi Tejas,

Thanks for the update and great to hear that it is all working now.

Regards,

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card