cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ucs 2.2(1d) leads to vmware network outtages

steffenille
Level 1
Level 1

Since the update to 2.2(1d) we have network timeouts / outtages between vsphere vm's hosted on ucs b-series servers and the rest of the world outside vmware / ucs. first occured with sles10 guests, but windows 2008 and more are also involved. any idas or similar experiences?

21 Replies 21

tommcnicholas
Level 1
Level 1

1) What version did you update from?

2) What version of ESXi, and what version of fNIC/eNIC drivers are you running?

3) Are your blade firmwares and CIMC standardized onto 2.2(1d)?

I updated from 2.1(3a) and the ESXi is 5.5u1 with the NFS APD Hotfix and all other fixes.

UCS-manager, FI, Chassis and all Blades are at the same firmware level 2.2(1d).

fNic driver information:

vmkload_mod -s fnic
vmkload_mod module information
 input file: /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/fnic
 Version: Version 1.5.0.45, Build: 1198611, Interface: 9.2 Built on: Jul 31 2013
 License: GPLv2
 Name-space: com.cisco.fnic#9.2.2.0
 Required name-spaces:
  com.vmware.libfcoe#9.2.2.0
  com.vmware.libfc#9.2.2.0
  com.vmware.driverAPI#9.2.2.0
  com.vmware.vmkapi#v2_2_0_0

eNic driver information:

ethtool -i vmnic0
driver: enic
version: 2.1.2.38
firmware-version: 2.2(1d)
bus-info: 0000:08:00.0

That's pretty rough, I'd open a TAC case at this point, something is not right.

Is this the hotfix that you are referring to

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2076392

Intermittent NFS APDs on VMware ESXi 5.5 U1 (2076392)

Up to very recently, VMware didn't have a fix !

I mean hotfix KB2077360:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2077360

it's the one for esxi 5.5u1

this moment I upgraded to eNIC driver 2.1.2.42

let's see what happens...

seems that the lags / connection disrupts still exist.

error-counters and such are all zero.

sniffing the networktraffic results in sent packages to the vm-machines but they don't answer them. no aborts in servicelayer or so.

Have you found a resolution to this issue yet? we are experiencing something of the same issue...

Thanks

No solution yet.

Actually I've got open Servicerequests at Cisco and VMware site.

Cisco didn't do any action yet. VMware analysis my ESXi Logbundles.

Mainly affected are SLES10 and Win2008(R2) VM guests.

Could you tell me what your issues are? Maybe it helps me to get any clue what might be going on here. STill not sure if it's an Cisco or VMware related problem, since if've patched two things at the same time. I should have known...

are you using vswitch, DVS, N1k ?

no. old style vlan tagged host networking.

Did you happen to have any success on this yet?  We've been battling the same thing for some time and not getting anywhere with our cases.

VMware and Cisco have no solution yet.

I've found out, that the MAC addresses of those affected VM guests switch / flap

between our two uplinks of the same(!) fabric-interconnect. It's seen on our upstream 6500 series coreswitches/-routers. Flapping begins after about 50 seconds of inactivity which is the default timeout for mac-learning in spanning-tree / STP. If I do pingloops from the affected VMs to outside targets this doesn't occur and they're reachable again. It's 100% reproduceable. It's clear that if the MAC comes up on the wrong (not pinned) uplink the traffic from the 6500 to the FI goes to nowhere, that's the normal endhost-mode behavior.

But I've set pingroups / portpinning for those ESXi vNIC adapters in UCSM so that this behavior should be forbidden by config.

But it happens. Flapping between the pinports of fi_a and fi_b I'd imagine, but it's between my two uplinks for _one_ FI.

Could you confirm that?

Maybe this would help to get Cisco a hint on this.
I'm strongly in the mood to downgrade to my old 2.1(3a) again, but actually I must not change anything in UCSM by Cisco support advice. Annoying!

I'm sitting on the phone with Cisco at this very moment, and have confirmed the same thing.  Its being escalated to the business unit (the coders) as a sev 1 for a workaround and have new code created to address this.  I'll post anything I hear.

We also got this with this on our 7K's which is likely making the issue worse for us.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/deferral/Deferral-Notice-N7K-628.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card