Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 210 M2 RAID and VMWARE

Ahmed alshatery
Level 1
Level 1

Hello'

I have cisco UCS 210 M2 Server with 10 HD 140GB, I insert new HD and I rebuilt the RAID, but when I installed the Vmware 5.0 the server could not see the Vmware.

see the attached picture , what is this message , is it relarted

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nice, please mark the thread as "answered" so users in the future can see that you solved your issue and the steps we took to get there.

-Kenny

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Mahmoud,

That is due to a problem with the Battery Backup Unit which provides power to cache in case of a power failure.

Do you have a BBU installed in this server? If not, this is expected.  The Write mode is configured when the array is created, if you configured it to be Write Back, that means data is first written to cache and eventually to the disks, if power is lost the BBU provides power for it.  If there is not BBU, no one provides backup power so the array (if configured to do so) changes to Write Through so that datais written to disk right away.  Safer but slower in performance.

Bottom line, if there is a BBU and you have checked it is properly connected, check in CIMC to see if the "replacement required" field is set to "true"; if that is the case the BBU needs replacement.  If set to "false" it might be that the BBU is going through a learning cycle.

If the BBU needs replacement, open a TAC case and have the BBU replaced.

In regards to VMware, when the server is booting up, did you hit on F6 and chose the right boot unit? If yes, what error do you see?  Does the server go to PXE boot or just goes to an endless loop trying to boot up? Are you booting from local disks or SAN? Any screenshot about the issue will be helpful.

Rate ALL helpful answers.

-Kenny

you are right , but the strange thing that I have two servers and the issue happened when I changed the RAID setup.

both of servers got the same problem , I thing I have to do some thing in the raid configuration ,

regarding for the vmware it goes to an endless loop, I boot the servers from the KVM iso image stored in my local PC.

i used Raid 0 Raid 1 raid 5 raid 6 but no luck.

Ok, so what did you change in the RAID setup?  That might be the key.

In regards to VMware, it goes to an endless loop while you try to install ESXi or ESXi was already installed and you are now having this issue ?

-Kenny

then fast initialize then set boot and restart to start the installation

Mahmoud,

Ok, so I see you did a "clear configuration" in the first screenshot... then you say that you reboot it to start the installation... when you were installing, did you have any trouble seeing the LUN (the Logicl Unit you created from the screenshots above) for the installation?

When the server is booting up, POST will show you a list of disks and at the end of that list, you will see the volumes created, do you see all the volumes you created?  If not, this might make us think about a configuration problem related to the LUNs.

-Kenny

Thanks man for the support , the issue has been resolved by changing the boot order , as per the image

Nice, please mark the thread as "answered" so users in the future can see that you solved your issue and the steps we took to get there.

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: