cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 6248UP Licensing

rjs
Level 5
Level 5

How will the 6248UP Fabric Interconnect ports be licensed?

Will ports configured as Fiber Channel also consume a port license?

Will the Expansion Module be fully licensed or will it share license with fixed ports?

16 Replies 16

Eric Rose
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The UCS 6248UP (with NO expansion module) has 32 physical ports. Of these –

o   12 ports are pre-licensed

o   Up to 20 additional ports can be licensed using UCS-LIC-10GE per port

The UCS-FI-E16UP (16 port Unified Expansion Module) has 16 physical ports. Of these –

o   8 ports are pre-licensed

o   Up to 8 additional ports can be licensed using UCS-LIC-10GE per port

Thanks

Eric

Eric,

Can the UCS-FI-E16UP ports be used for chassis connections or are they for uplinks only (like the 6120/6140 GEM modules were)?

Is a port license required for every use of a physical port? E.g.,

• 10GE chassis connection
  • 1/10GE uplink
  • 1/2/4/8 Gbps FibreChannel uplink
  • 10GE FCoE direct attach
  • 1/10GE appliance port
  • 1/10GE SPAN/monitor port

Finally, do you know the list cost of UCS-LIC-10GE ? Is it going to be more/less than the current N10-L001 10GE license?

The list price for both port license are the same. It looks like the cost is 2,744 list.

All physical port need to be licesned on the fabric interconnect. The 6200 license structure is listed above. The 6100s the fixed ports needed license however the expansion cards do not.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi,

I have been testing different configurations with netformx and it seems that ports configured as FC do not consume licenses. Is that correct??

Thanks in advance

Pedro

Pedro,

All ports need to have licenses regardless if it is server / ethernet / fiber channel ports.

HTH

Eric

phewks i got to see this before i actually sent out pricing to a customer. i would have messed up bigtime on licensing. Thanks guyz.

Dear Eric,

Need to ask small questions. Can we use pre-licensed ports for any one of them e.g. 1G, 10G FCoE or FC?

And Is per port license (UCS-LIC-10GE) for FCoE only or FC can also work on this license?

What license do we need for FC only?

Regards,

Anser

Yes, the base 6248 ships with 12 licenses, if you have the optional expansion module you get 8 more. Any used port will take a license whether it is Ethernet, FCoE or FC.

hi

can I use one of the 32-ports as FC port OR i have to use the expantion module only for that?!!

Thanks

Shaker

Any of the 32 fixed ports or expansion module ports can be used for 1G/10G Ethernet, FCoE or FC.

You must have the correct SFP and configure the port as FC via the Unified Ports tool. Take a look at my blog post on this - http://jeremywaldrop.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/cisco-ucs-6248-unified-port-configuration/

Well the last time I configured 6248 with an expansion module, it went upto 52 licensed ports.

Here is the breakup:

- 12 ports are pre-licensed for base ports

- 8 ports are pre-licensed for expansion module

- & CCW tool let me configure 32 UCS-LIC-10GE licenses more. :S

Keeping in view the total physical ports to be 48, howcome the tool is letting me configure 52 licenses?

akhedkar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We have ordered 6248 with 16 port expansion module. The system should show 20 licenses as installed in this case. 12 by the virtue of 6248 and 8 by the virtue of expansion module. But the system only shows 12. I am checking in UCS Manager Admin Screen - Licensing. Is this information stored somewhere else?

Regards,

Ajit Khedkar.

syedal3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Rjs,

The UCS 6248UP has 32 physical ports out of 32 ports 12 ports are pre licensed .You can expand it up to 48 ports by using expansion module UCS-FI-E16UP (16-port Expansion module) in which out of 16 ports 8 ports are pre licensed .

The UCS 6248UP (with expansion module) has total of 48 ports in which 20 ports are pre licensed ,remaining ports can be licensed by using UCS-LIC-10GE per port .

Please check the links mentioned below, I hope it will help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11548/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps11544/data_sheet_c78-675245.pdf

Thanks

Syed

Slight correction to above.  The 16-port expansion modules do not come pre-licensed.  They simply contribute an additonal 6 (not 8) port licenses to the pool.  These can be used towards both fixed and GEM interfaces.

6248 - includes 12 licenses towards pool

6296 - includes 18 licenses towards pool

16-Port-GEM - adds 6 licenses towards pool

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: