Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS B200M3 and Flex Flash (SDCard)

previfrance
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have migrate fews UCS B200M3 to boot from SAN to SD Card since it is supported by firmware 2.1.

I'm running the last firmware, 2.1(1a) and ESXi 5.1.0, 1157734 with Cisco Custom image.

After few days, my ESX lost connectivity with SD Card and in vSphere it says : Lost connectivity to the device mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0 backing the boot filesystem ... (see attachement) (I have the error an all my ESX on SD Card).

If I reboot ESX ou restart management agent, the message is gone and all is working.

There is a problem with ESXi 5.1 on SDCard and B200M3 ?

Thank You

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

At this point we are trying to see if the issue is related to the one seen on C-series.

I'll try to update you in a couple of days, if not, please post again here as a reminder so I can update you.

-Kenny

View solution in original post

Loic and everybody else following this thread,

The bug CSCui77602 was finally marked as a duplicate of  CSCui82679 , which is now marked as fixed.

UCSM 2.2 was released yesterday:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283612660&softwareid=283655658&release=2.2

Here you have the release notes of UCSM 2.2 :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/ucs_2_2_rn.html

And even when I do not see the bug mentioned as part of the resolved issues, I will internally make sure that is corrected.  Internally the bug says it is fixed and where, same way it was fixed for the rack servers in CSCuh33982.

Please remember that on C series, the issue is resolved with the upgrade of CIMC AND the reset of the FlexFlash, so this might also be needed on B series if you see the patch is applied and the issue continues.  I say "This might" cause the new major released was just made available yesterday but the fix is there on C series and was a definite solution.

We appreciate your patience with this issue and would appreciate any feedback after the upgrade is applied to your domains, while in the mean time apologize for the problems this might have caused so far.

-Kenny

Loic,

Here is the process that needs to be performed to guarantee the fix.

The SD controller firmware needs to run the version 1.2 build 257-1 (This can be found on the server’s inventory storage tab.).  The SD controller firmware is part of CIMC/BMC image, and is programmed in to the SD Controller on SD Controller reset.

If the “running” CIMC/BMC version is not 2.2(1) when the board update is issued the SD Controller will not be update to the new version with the CSCui77602 and CSCui82679 fixes.

<< Click on the image.

If the version 1.2 build 257-1 is not running do one of the following:

Option 1:

•1)      Verify CIMC/BMC is running 2.2(1)

•2)       Do a slot reset or reinsert the blade (The loss of standby power causes SD Controller reset)

Option 2:

•1)      Verify CIMC/BMC is running 2.2(1)

•2)      Re-issue the board update on the server.

Both options will cause the board to be powered off but we hope to improved this process soon.

Special thanks to Kevin Babst for the information provided.

-Kenny

47 Replies 47

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Next time this happens try to reset the CIMC of the server, there is a similar issue with the c-seires servers and reseting the CIMC recovers the connectivity. According to this bug this is software problem.

Reseting the CIMC won't bring the server down.  See below the defect filed for the c-series servers.

C-series M3 losing access to flexflash/SD card with timeout error
 http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCuh33982 

Ok thanks, I'll try that.

So I have to wait a firmware update to resolve my problem ?

Thanks

Hi,

At this point we are trying to see if the issue is related to the one seen on C-series.

I'll try to update you in a couple of days, if not, please post again here as a reminder so I can update you.

-Kenny

If you need help to identify the bug (debugs logs ...), I'am here

Loic,

Thanks, I really appreciate the help on this... do you have a case number already opened with TAC? If yes, please send me a private message over here so I can add your case.

-Kenny

limbadiya
Level 1
Level 1

By the way how did you use the SD Card, I have the same blade B200 M3 with latest 2.1 (2a), I have local disk policy where I have enable the FlexFlash, but server doesn't detect that, even under inventory, under local disk policy it shows Flex Flash State disable, I called tac and they said it's not supported on current Bios Firmware, they will release the update for Biso Firmware. But from your post it looks like you were able to install ESXi on it, I would appreciate if you can share some information. thanks

Hi Vasim,

Every time you disassociate a service profile this features gets disabled. To get it working please try the following:

• •1)      Disable the FlexFlash from the local policy, wait for the server to reboot completely
  • •2)      After the server has rebooted completely, enable the flex flash again, this time the server won’t reboot automatically, so you have to reboot it manually. You can power cycle the server from UCSM or using the KVM. If everything goes well the server should be able to detect the card after the reboot. At this point you might want to select F6 to pick the HV partition. If the server goes into the EFI shell, just type “exit”.

Let me know if this works.

You Are the Man !!! Thanks, it's working perfectly, I spent 3 hours on the phone with Cisco tac (two different tac) and told me to wait for the Bios update to come out.

Great, I am glad this worked out well.

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Loic,

One thing noticed from your initial post is that you mentioned that you are running 2.1(1a).

Looking at the release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html#wp158441   <<< Under

"Release 2.1(2a) adds support for the following:" you may see "UCS-SD-16G—16GB SD Card"

Could you please confirm what firmware version you are using in your environment and that it is consistent for UCMS, FIs,IOMs, BIOS, Adapter and CIMC?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

-Kenny

Loic,

Could you please confirm the above information?

-Kenny

Hi,

Sorry Kenny, I didn't see your message since my last post because I'm on holliday

I'm running 2.1(2a), this is an error in my first message.

My resseller have opened a ticket with TAC because an other of his client have the same problems on C series but I haven't got the case number.

My resseller have to inform me when TAC will find a solution. I can ask him for a case number.

Loic,

Could you please ask the reseller to open a case for you specifying you have a B-series and not a C series?  Please send me the case number in a private message and be sure we have UCSM and chassis show tech support.

Thanks for getting back with the information.

-Kenny

Loic,

Could you please tell me if there is a SR open for this issue already ?

-Kenny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card