Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS BIOS Policy Configuration

dani_bosch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there any document out there where to find a really comprehensive info about configs in the BIOS Policy for Service Profiles (not enough meat in the UCS Config Guide)?? When to leave "platform-default"?? What is the "platform-default" value in every single parameter? What does actually mean/imply every single parameter in this BIOS config? Which are the recommended values for each O.S. and why?? Which are the pros and cons of enabling/disabling each and every single parameter of this BIOS Policy Config?

I notice there is a lot to be configured in this part of UCS, but there's no clear and comprehensive information about how to make it and best practices.

Thanks a lot,

5 Replies 5

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Dani, the platform-defaults for each blade model are in UCSM right above the BIOS Policies under the Default BIOS Policies.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_011100.html#concept_57EC2B706C904122861231712CB9CCCE

Thanks, that's correct, now I can see what actual values per each blade are the "default-platform" values.

But I still lack some insight on each and every parameter of this BIOS Policy Config...for instance: what is the difference between "enterprise/high-throughput/hpc" values in CPU Performance parameter?? Which are pros and cons of each of these values??

Dani,

Have you looked at the CLI config guide?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/cli/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_CLI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_011011.html#reference_D3132F42886C44A59E0EDCA8F62D5D26

All the BIOS options are explained under the "Configuring BIOS Settings Section".

This does cover a high level explanation of each option, but doesn't provide any recommendations of when to use which. 

Regards,

Robert

You just said it...it does read a VERY high level explanation...

"high-throughput—All prefetchers are enabled, and data reuse is disabled"

Ok, now I'm asking: what does this imply? Pros and cons of going with this value instead of HPC value or ENTERPRISE value??

Without a more human-understandable approach I'm totally lost about which values to use.

I agree.

I've reached out to our docs team to see if there's something more we can provide.  I suspect these are industry standard BIOS settings, but even still we should be able to provide something with more information to help you decide which settings are right for you. 

Stay Tuned!

Regards,

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card