Views
Helpful
Replies

ucs c210 m2 - virtual machines

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

hello ,

I had an issue with my ucs, it rebooted and one of the 6 hard driver had an issue, but after logging with the VMware console, I found out that the virtual machines are no longer there.

I just have the frace virtual machine "uknonw state"

Thanks all.

6 Replies 6

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If your VMs are showing with "Uknown state" it means that they are not able to access the data store on your server.   The only way for this to happen is if the whole raid volume was corrupted or the data was lost when the hard drive fail.   This will only be the case if you had no redundancy for your virtual drive.  

What type of raid configuration do you have configure on this server (raid 0, raid 1. raid 5....)?

I have raid 5.

Thank

With raid 5, you can only have a single drive failure, are you sure only one drive failed?

If you go to the vcenter/vspeher are you able see and  browse the datastore where your VMs are located?

I have 2 broken hard drives.

very sad.

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

What is the model and vendor of your hard drives?  Do the VMs show any change if you just reboot the server?

-Kenny

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am so sorry, but if you have two bad drives, it means that your data is gone.  You won't be able to recover, you will need to restore it from a back up.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and don't forget to rate any useful answers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card