Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C210M2 boot up problems

Patrick Werner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community.

We have some trouble with our UCS C210M2 Server. The fans allways run at full speed. And I can't boot it up, because the server hangs at the "Configuring and testing memory, please wait..." message (see attached screenshot).

Sometime the servers starts successfull (after several power off and power on). I checked the memory and it looks good (see the two attached screenshots)

But then i try to start the CIMC and I wasn't successfull too beacuse the screen says "Error on getting CIMC IP Address" and "Error on getting CIMC MAC Address" (see attached screenshot). I tried to start CIMC from the BIOS but it says "Not found" (see attached screenshot).

I tried du upgrade everything with the HUU disc, but after starting the HUU disc I see another error message that says "Collection the PID value from SMBIOS/etc/rc.local: line 732 [: too many arguments]".

Then i upgrade the BIOS with the EFI Sheel, that has worked.

After that i tried to upgrade the CIMC with the EFI Sheel, but i get a similar meeasge like with HUU disc "Invalid Numer of Arguments". And finaly if i tried to activate the CIMC from the EFI Shell and it says "No response from CIMC. CIMC may be rebooting"

What i did too, i set the jumper J1E5 to recover corrupt BIOS, but that didn't help.

Can someone help me out.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cristian Munoz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

Could you please perform an AC power cycle, which involves removing both 
power cables and leaving them out for 3minutes and then re-installing the cables.

Also, is it possible to re-seat the memory modules and test the server with the minimum
memory configuration?

Last, another issue may be related when a large number of PCIe add-on cards are
installed in the server, the system does not have sufficient resources to Execute
Option ROMs and the server gets stuck.

Resolving Insufficient Memory Space to Execute Option ROMs

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/1D4fD

Chris,

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Cristian Munoz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

Could you please perform an AC power cycle, which involves removing both 
power cables and leaving them out for 3minutes and then re-installing the cables.

Also, is it possible to re-seat the memory modules and test the server with the minimum
memory configuration?

Last, another issue may be related when a large number of PCIe add-on cards are
installed in the server, the system does not have sufficient resources to Execute
Option ROMs and the server gets stuck.

Resolving Insufficient Memory Space to Execute Option ROMs

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/1D4fD

Chris,

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

Do you have any I/O devices (keyboard) connected to this server?  If you do please remove these and only leave a monitor reboot the server and see if the server is able to boot properly  If it is booting properly it probably means that you have a bad keyboard or usb port. 

Hi.

Thanks for your reply, I re-seat the memory, and used just two slots, i tried all the memory I have but still the same. And I tried too to start the server without the usb keyboard but the same.

Why does the fan run at full pseed, this is very noisy? And why does the CIMC not work?

Patrick

Hi

I suggest you single cpu boot up,

sometimes, I guess board error is repeat server hangs at the

"Configuring and testing memory, please wait..." message

you can try this. because, I did very similar situation my end user site.

Ahram

Hi Patrick,

Has this server ever fuctioned properly before? What version firmware is running on the system? If the above suggestion by AH RAM does not yield any clues, I would suggest opening a Service Request with TAC. That way more in depth troubleshooting can be attempted.

That way it can also be determined, if it might be a defective motherboard.

Thanks.

-Bruce

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card