cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C240 M3 LFF - Not detecting RAID controller/option ROMs at all?

Elliott Willink
Level 1
Level 1

I've just lodged a service request for this, but as I don't have a service contract I'm not sure how much support I will get from Cisco vs them just replacing the whole unit..

In any case, It's a LFF C240 M3, dual CPU. It was purchased with an LSI2008 SAS Mez card.

- Mezz card was installed, and all the drives are lighting up, however I am getting no option ROM to boot/see the drives at all. BIOS shows "PCI-E: M" (I'm assuming this is the mezzanine card) as not populated, however I have the option rom set to enabled for this slot. I have no SCU setting, and no software RAID jumper is installed or being used. I have connected the correct SAS cables from the mezz card to the SAS expander.

- As well as this, I have two PCI-E SSD's that also have option ROMs - these are detected by OS's, however the option roms are not booting despite them being set in BIOS to load.

- I also have a 10GBE NIC that IS loading its boot rom. Strangely, if I disable the boot rom for the 10GBe NIC, and Enable the boot rom for the PCI-E SSDs, the 10GBE boot rom still loads (If I disable the PCI-E SSD boot roms, the 10GBe boot rom stops loading)

There are possibly 2 issues here - One is that the mainboard/mezz card/both are DoA. The other is that the BIOS is buggy, as enabling and disabling PCI-E slot option roms do not seem to correlate with the correct slots/boot at all.

Any input would be appreciated before I DoA the lot

2 Replies 2

Zaira Vega
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you tell what is the PID for each PCIe card and which slot is each one installed?

I'm not sure what you mean by PCIe SSD.

Hi Zaira,

The PCIe SSD is a PCI IDE/AHCI controller that has an SSD connected to it.

Further research shows that in AHCI mode, the UCS server will boot the option ROM. The PID is

VEN: 1B21 DEV: 0612 [0106] SATA Controller [PI 01]

We need to run it in IDE mode however to boot off it. In IDE mode the option ROM does not boot. The PID in IDE mode is:

VEN: 1B21 DEV: 0611 [0101] IDE Controller [PI 85]

Both ROMS boot fine in all other servers I have tried (SuperMicro, HP and Intel) so I can only assume the UCS is somehow selectively ignoring this boot rom by the PID?

Is there anything I can do here?

Regards,

Elliott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card