Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C24M3 - esxi boot problem

Augustgood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

on my ucs C24M3 after installing vmware esxi 5.5 at the first reboot when i select the virtual disk on bios (created on megaraid) to boot i can't see this option, only local drive. I disable on bios the embedded raid and i can't see the disk on boot, who can help me ??

8 Replies 8

Augustgood
Level 1
Level 1

this is my hardware :

Server: UCS C24 M3S2

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2470 v2 @ 2.40GHz x 2

intel onboard nic card x 2

no storage adapter, lsi megaraid not showed on cimc (attached)

Hi Nicole,

Do you know if you have a PCI or Mezzanine raid controller installed on this server?  

From the image you provided it looks like that you are configuring the raid volume using the embedded controller which is not supported by the ESXI. 

If you have another raid controller, which is not the embedded controller, then it means that you don't have the SAS cables to this controller. 

How many total HDD do you have? 

If you click on  Summary ->Inventory->storage tab/PCI adapters,  do you see any raid adapters after you click on any of those tabs?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C24/install/C24/raid.html#92022

Embedded MegaRAID Controller

Note VMware ESX/ESXi or any other virtualized environments are not supported for use with the embedded MegaRAID controller. Hypervisors such as Hyper-V, Xen, or KVM are also not supported for use with the embedded MegaRAID controller.

i don't have raid or pci adapter other than lsi megaraid, i have two sas disk.

I don't have sas cable but only cisco cable connected to the motherboard (lsi megaraid i think) from sas disk.

H

Okay,  if this is the case you will need to get a PCI or Mezzanine raid controller as the ESXi doesn't supported the embbeded raid controller. 

i can install linux os and over this os vmware esxi ?

Can support this environment ?

Yes, some linux verions are supported.  What version are you trying to install?

cent os 6.5, what version of vmware i can install ??

i think only vmware server not vsphere esxi ?

If yes you can send me the link where download...

Cent OS 6.5 it is supported. 

vmware is not supported no matter what version you install. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card