Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Central supporting storage cloude in UCS

odahlqvist
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

is UCS central ver 1.1.1b support storage cloud like local zoning and direct attached storage as in version  2.1(3b) ?

it seems that this is possible to make a connection policy on the UCS C. ?

/Ola

7 Replies 7

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have not done it, but according to the UCS Central documentation, local zoning seems to be supported !

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-central/users-manual/1-1/b_CiscoUCSCentral-Software-UsersManual-Release1-1.pdf

Creating global VSAN p240

xxx.png

Hi

Thanks for the hint and that is maybe so, but from a direct attached storage scenario like the term "Storage Cloud" which in UCS i can´t find the connection between local zoning and UCS Central. the UCS central Global server policy is placed in the SAN Cloud section not in the "storage Cloud " section in UCS manager. And the idea with storage cloud is not to have a upstream san switch where the zoning is placed instead we are only using the FI as both SAN and LAN switch and directly attached storage ( FC or FCOE) to the FI´s

/Ola

Good point ! I 100% agree. There is no direct mention of support (or no support) of direct storage attachment in UCS Central 1.1, nor 1.2 which will be released beginning of March 2014.

On the other hand, whether we talk about SAN cloud or Storage cloud, a VSAN is a VSAN ! and zoning is done per VSAN; and global VSAN allow local zoning; from that point of view I would try it.

Do we know if UCS Central 1.2 supports direct attached storage (FC) ?

Cheers

Direct attached FC storage requires FI in FC switch mode, which is supported by UCS Central.

Can't find any way of doing zoning from UCS Central. When I go in UCSM and create a SP or a template there is a zoning section, nothing like that with Global SP or Global SP templates. I assume the way to go is local templates from which I can reference Global VSANs. Tried in an emulated environment.

Cheers

Hello,

I just tried a Global Service Profile configuration from UCS Central to UCS Mini with VSAN configuration with zonning enabled.

I confirm I didn't find any zoning configuration on the Global Service Profile parameters.

But when you push the service profile with a boot from SAN policy, it adds a zonning configuration with Boot from SAN target's WWPNs.

I confirm also that VSAN declared on UCS Central are only populated on SAN Cloud and not in Storage Cloud on UCSM.

So maybe you can do the FC/FCoE Direct Attached storage configuration on SAN Cloud by defining Uplink FC/FCoE interfaces where your storage array is connected.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: