cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Central

Stefan Gruber
Level 1
Level 1
Hello I configured all settings, vlans, Policys, templates, Service Profiles, vnics , HBA....... only on UCS Central 1) can i shutdown the UCS Central Viruel Applience without issue? Like vcenter? In other words did UCS Central Need to run 24/7? Or should i Install a Cluster that i can shutdown one? 2) If I make a Service Profile Template, a haven't the posibility to Change the HBA Option "Persistend Binding" to Enable Only if i say Unbind from Template if i create a Service Profile from this Template, I can mark "Enabele" on the Service Profile. But not by the Template. BG Steve
6 Replies 6

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hallo Stefan

In principle, you can always take control back to UCSM from UCS Central. This would at least allow you to control the UCS domain.

Your resouces are global, therefore making modifications or creating new global SP from global templates is not possible.a

Be also aware, that there are some caveats; the functionality of UCS Central is not 100% identical to UCSM (e.g. sequential allocation), although UCS Central has functionality that UCSM doesn't have.

In your case, I would configure a UCS Central cluster, and don't forget to do backups :-)

Walter.

Hi Wdey,

Thx for u Answer!!

Yes i know this, my questions are:

1) what happent if i shut down the one UCS Central Appliance  (no cluster) if i have made my hole config on there?

Is this like vcenter? There I can shutdown vCenter and the ESX Hosts works fine.Is this the Same on UCS Central?

2) I can se the option "Persistend Binding"  in my Global Service Profile under "vHBA" but i can't change it to "enable" because the SP is from my Global Template. And i would't change the association. 

The Problem is, that i can't change this vhba Option "Persistend Binding"  in the global Template because this Option doesn't exist in the Global Template! (only in the Service Profile)

I know that things are different from the UCS Management but this is a realy important option.

And i can change it but obly if i say "unbind from Template" 

For my opinion it make no sense that i have this options only in Global Service Profile and not in Global Service Template

BG

Stefe

Hi Stefe

Reg. 1) yes, similar to Vcenter

Reg. 2) seems to be a feature / Bug

My Q. Why do you go with global SP and pools ? in my opinion, this makes sense for

1) Global SP to me moved between UCS domains, possibly in 2 different DC (DR site)

2) Guarantee that the all the pools across all UCS domains are unique.

2) could also be achieved manually !

Most of the installations that I know use UCS Central for monitoring, consolidation of errors and inventary, backup and firmware management. Global SP is nice, but requires additional design on the shared storage backend.

Hi Wdey,

thx a lot!!

I have two UCS Domains in two Server Rooms, thats the reason.

BG

Steve

Hi Again.

What did u mean with this?

"Global SP is nice, but requires additional design on the shared storage backend"

If i have no shared Storage Backend and the UCS Central is down, u say nothing happens, like vCenter. I can make a dayly veeam backup from the appliance and thats it?

BG

Global SP: lets assume you have 2 datacenters, and a UCS domain in each.

If one DC is down (e.g. fire, flood,....), you can associate a global SP in the surviving DC, and continue operation.

This requires Boot from SAN, and visibility of the boot lun (and any data lun's as well) in each DC. EMC VPLEX is such a solution; Netapp, IBM have similar ones.

Moving a Global SP from one DC to another one is disruptive, not to be confused with vmotion / Live Migration kind of functionality.

And once again: YES, your server will run without problems if UCS Central is down.

I'm still not convinced, why you would like to implement Global SP's ? Domain specific SP would probably the easier way to go; as I mentioned, just use UCS Central for Monitoring,.....

Hope this clarifies Global SP ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card