Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS chassis uplinks recommendation

Kassim Ismail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We currently have a UCS B chassis with 4 blades & 4 uplinks to the FI 6124 (2 from each FEX). We are now looking to populate the chassis with 4 additional blades & was wondering if there is a best practise/guidance document on how many uplinks one should have with a fully populated chassis.

Thanks

Kassim

1 Reply 1

Manish Tandon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kassim

It all depends on the environment and what degree of oversubscription are you comfortable with between the IOM and the FI.

As you are already running UCS, I would start by looking at the current utilization to begin with.

The 2104 is characterized by 8 downlinks (server facing or HIFs) and up to 4 uplinks (FI facing or NIFs).

A starting config can be either 1, 2 or 4 links i.e 2^x number of links for static pinning.

Within UCS QoS can be configured so you can specify min bandwith guarantee at the time of congestion.

If you just want to get a feel for whats out there, most of the time I have come across 2 links per side.

Again, what I have seen most and not a best practise/guidance by any stretch.

Thanks

--Manish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card