Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS - Nexus - Vsan questions

eric.loiseau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need some advice about the configuration of a SAN configuration between an UCS and a Nexus, I checked a lot of document but nothing is clear (for me) to understand the correct configuration and to to apply it.

First of all, I have an err-disable on nexus (VLAN L2 problem)  and ucs (SFP imcompatibility).

I have 2 (twinax cables) connected between ucs6248 and nexus 5548UP

Which configuration do I need to configure on the UCS ? fc or fcoe

Which configuration do I need to configure on the Nexus  ?fc or vfc

Can I use a twinax cable or a sfp module with fiber cable ?

Use of switch or NPIV mode ?

use of switchport mode E or F ?

Or a link who explain the process I need to follow.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eric,

Did you get a chance to look at the pdf i provided in my previous email. It has the list of supported SFP on the FI, the SFP part number can be found on the SFP itself.

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Eric,

Here are a few points which can help you:

1) Only a certain set of SFP are supported / qualified for use on UCS FI and here is the list:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps10265/ps11544/data_sheet_c78-675245.pdf (Check page 5 on the pdft)

2) As for today we do not support FCoE uplink from the UCS FI. You still need to have pure ethernet and pure FC uplinks.

This is what you need to do:

1) Configure the ports on the FI as uplink ports and connect them to the ports on the n5k and configure the n5k ports as trunk.

2) For FC, first from the UP ports you'll have to mark the ports for FC. Then configure them as FC uplink which you can connect to the FC ports on the N5k.

3) You can run the FI in the NPV (FC End host mode) and make sure the n5k is running NPIV mode. With this the fc ports on the N5k will have to be configure as F ports.

Hope this helps!

./abhinav

Hello,

I am using a pure ethernet interfaces with twinax cable, the problem is that my interface are in err-disable

With

is down (Error Disabled - VLAN L2 down on Eth interface) on Nexus interface

Incompatible SFP module on FI side.

I read some document who explain that I need to use a SFP module Fiber , but it's not very clear.

Regards

Eric,

Did you get a chance to look at the pdf i provided in my previous email. It has the list of supported SFP on the FI, the SFP part number can be found on the SFP itself.

./Abhinav

Hello,

All my SFP are from Cisco .

I checked a lot of thing and I begin to understand but not all.I re explain my question

My 6248 and nexus 5548 have UP ports with a Netapp

For the storage how can I connect the 6248 and 5548

Use of the latest ports (31 and 32) on both systems

I want to use twinax cables what is the type fo configuration I need to apply

Fc,fcoe ,others ?

With Fc and twinax cable it doesn't work

With FC and SAN SFP(8 giga) it works

What is the configuration to do with a Twinax cable and the support of vsan ? I didn't found a sample of such architecture.

Regards

Hi Eric,

As I mentioned in my previous email, from the FI you will still have to configure pure fc uplink (which will have to uplink to the 5548 in your case). hence the config you need to apply will be fc. You can have the 8 gig FC uplink.

With the twinax cables you can only have the ethernet uplinks configured from the 6248 to the 5548 and since its pure ethernet there is no support for fc (vsan).

Hope this helps!

./Abhinav

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card