cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS / PVLANs / None N1K

NaelShahid_2
Level 1
Level 1

Planning a vSphere 5 design in which each VM will be assigned 2 x vNICs, one for standard client / server traffic and one for backup. The backup lan will be a common vlan across many VMs. I need to ensure the VMs are isolated from one another on the common vlan, however, all VMs need to ability to talk to a central backup server (promiscuous).

The environment will be based on UCSM 2.0, 6248s, 2208s, M81KR, vSphere Enterprise Plus and NO Nexus 1KV.

I am a little unsure of the PVLAN support within UCSM 2.0 and how this would integrate (if any support) with the DVS. I was also thinking of maybe using VM-FEX (none high performance) for the client / server vNIC and standard hypervisor switching for the 2nd backup vNICs, but again I am a little unsure if this is possible.

Any information would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

krun_shah
Level 1
Level 1

pVLAN is supported since UCS 1.4

Here is statement from release notes.

"Layer 2 traffic segmentation within a subnet can  now be achieved using PVLAN Isolated access in the UCSM. This allows  customer to achieve vNIC level isolation which translates to VM level  isolation using Cisco Virtual interface card in pass though mode."

You need to create pVLAN and define port-profile with pVLAN configuration under VM tab > port-profile of UCS manager and push it to vCenter.

References:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_010000.html#d10099e1163a1635

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/1.4/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_1_4_chapter_011110.html

Thanks. Do you know if it is possible to use none pass-through located on a standard DVS for the common vlan, then use VM-FEX (none high performance mode) for the client / server nic.

I do not want to consume my limited number of vNICs (56 I believe) for the backup vlan.

Not on same ESX host. As part of process in configuring VM-FEX is you need to install a VEM module inside ESX host and extension .xml file to allow vCenter and UCS to communicate. While this is the same VEM software as you would use with the Nexus 1000v virtual switch, it modifies its behavior for the VM-Fex. In the case of VM-Fex the VEM(DVS) works strictly in a pass-through mode (like a patch panel) and does no local switching between VM's on the same ESX.

Thanks.

Due to the limit on vNICs on the M81KR then it looks as tho VMFEX  is out of the question as each VM will have at least 2 vNICs.....

This  would mean I would have to use the N1KV as I have read that PVLANs with  UCS would require the N1KV as it is currently not available with  standard DVS - Do you know if this is correct??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card