Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS to NEXUS

dani_bosch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible to connect a UCS solution to a pair of Nexus 5500 via native Ethernet as per the LAN communications and via native FC as per the SAN communications? Then I was planning to connect EMC VNX arrays to the Nexus 5500 via native FC and the core of his LAN via native Ethernet. In other words, I'm using Nexus 5500 as a consolidated LAN/SAN device, but WITHOUT using a consolidated protocol like FCoE. Is this design ok? Does it have any caveats or things to bear in mind?

Also, in this scenario would it add any benefit to connect the VNX arrays to the Nexus via FCoE instead of native FC?

Thanks,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That will work. We do it all the time in our lab. The 5500 replaces the need for an MDS or Brocade FC switch. It will work fine. You can use the 5500 as an NPIV switch or you can enable FC switching on the UCS box and do an E or TE port between the 5500 and UCS FIs.  We also support F port channel trunk between the 5500 and UCS FI, so you can do just about every FC connection option between the Nexus and UCS boxes.

I can't comment on the VNX and it's FCOE capabilities.

louis

View solution in original post

It si better to have NPIV on nexus 5K. Changing in to FC switching mode is not required as you have N5K in place to do FC switching.

Ram

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That will work. We do it all the time in our lab. The 5500 replaces the need for an MDS or Brocade FC switch. It will work fine. You can use the 5500 as an NPIV switch or you can enable FC switching on the UCS box and do an E or TE port between the 5500 and UCS FIs.  We also support F port channel trunk between the 5500 and UCS FI, so you can do just about every FC connection option between the Nexus and UCS boxes.

I can't comment on the VNX and it's FCOE capabilities.

louis

It si better to have NPIV on nexus 5K. Changing in to FC switching mode is not required as you have N5K in place to do FC switching.

Ram

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card