Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS VIC 1225 vNIC Ethernet Speed Limit

Keef
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I think I know the answer but I can't seem to find any clear documentation to confirm: what is the maximum speed for a VIC 1225 vNIC?

I have a C220 M4 acting as a storage node for a UCS-Mini blade chassis (with a 6324 FI). The C220 is running RHEL 7 and serves up iSCSI storage. It has three NICs (two for iSCSI and one for mangement). Everything is working properly but the vNICs seem to max out at 1Gb.

I have tried configuring QoS on the vNIC as line-rate and 10000000. Regardless of the QoS settings, RHEL sees the vNICs as 1Gb links (they also cannot be modified with ethtool). Is this just the speed cap for vNICs on the VIC 1225?

Thank you!

18 Replies 18

Yes, I have it connected as outlined there using twinax.

The SFPs are definitely 10Gb. However, does UCS allow vNICs created on the server to use the full 10Gb?

Does your UCS Manager see the C220-M4, and if yes, does it see it as 10G ? which version of UCS are you running ?

Several vnic can share one physical 10G link; this means of course overesubscription, but the speed should appear as 10G !

Thanks for the prompt responses!

I'm running UCS 3.1.(1g).

I have the C220 twinax ports configured as "server ports"; they're running well (albeit at 1Gb) and detected fine in UCS Manager. As I understand it, you cannot change the admin speed of server ports (I thought it would auto negotiate to the max speed (10Gb)).

Should I have the C220s configured with "appliance ports" so that I can change the speed?

I hope you are using the 40G QSFP port, with the breakout cable ! Yes, server ports should be ok.

see attachment and https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/flexpod_ucsmini_esxi55_fc.pdf

I'm using the 10G SFP+ ports with SFP-H10GB-CU3M twinax cables. The ports are configured as server ports.

I didn't use the 40G ports because the VIC 1225 is 10G and the FI's SFP+ ports are 10G.

Should I not be getting 10G with the SFP+ ports?

The Cisco UCS 6324 Fabric Interconnect contains a scalability port as well as four unified ports. The scalability port is a 40GB QSFP+ breakout port that, with proper cabling, can support four 1G or 10G SFP+ ports. I'm not sure, that by default a server port is always 10G; please check on the FI, if the speed is really 10G !

Hmm, that's where I'm stuck. I can see that it detects the twinax SFP properly (it says H10GB‑CU3M as the "type" on the SFP+ port). However, I don't see anything else indicating speed. I checked around the CLI as well and couldn't find much.

I can only assume that I'm not getting the full 10G because the OS is only seeing a max of 1G when I attach vNICs...

Are you using  UCSC-PCIE-CSC-02 (Cisco VIC 1225 Dual Port 10Gb SFP+ CNA) ?

Installation of the Cisco UCS VIC1225 requires that the server has CIMC firmware version 1.4(6) or later installed and VIC firmware of 2.1(0) or later.

The 2-CPU version of the server supports installation of two PCIe Cisco VIC
1225/1225T/1385 card and they are supported in PCIe slots 1 and 2. Slot 1 is the
primary slot for UCSM integration and for Cisco card NIC mode.

Good morning!

Yes, that is the VIC installed in my C220 rack-mounts.

The 1225 VIC firmware is v4.1(1g) and the CMIC firmware on the C220s is 2.0(10e). I also checked the Linux kernel module for the vNIC in RHEL and it's running the "enic" module v2.3.0.20.

Can you please post a picture from UCSM ? would like to see, if this C220-M4 are managable via UCSM ?

Yes, the C220s are being managed by UCSM and all configuration on the servers was done from UCSM (vNICs, RAID, etc...); there are no errors and warnings.

Everything looks to be working fine; I just get 1G on the vNICs attached to the C220 server OS (the vNICs were added via UCSM) and I can't seem to get 10G (even by forcing it with a QoS profile).

Thanks ! Can you please also post the UCSM Adapter information for this C220-M4 !

For Cisco UCS C220 M4 and Cisco UCS C240 M4 servers you can use either MLOM or VIC to integrate with Cisco UCS
Manager in SingleConnect or direct connect mode. The adapter for connectivity is selected as explained below:

MLOM only: When only MLOM is present in the server, the connectivity adapter is by default MLOM,

MLOM and VIC adapters: MLOM is the default connectivity adapter.

No MLOM:

For Cisco UCS C220 M4, the VIC must be installed in Riser1 - Slot 1 for direct connect integration.

For Cisco UCS C240 M4, the VIC can be installed on any one of the following slots: 1, 2, 4, or 5 for direct
    connect integration.

Attached is the VIC info and info for the FI port to which the VIC is connected.

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: