Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to install to FlexFlash on UCSM-integrated C240s

Brad_80
Level 1
Level 1

My configuration is as follows:

(3) C240s single-wired to a pair of 6120s, all running 2.2(1d). The C240s have an SD card installed, as well as an SSD and 7xSAS drives for VSAN. I have configured my service profiles with a local disk policy of No RAID, and with FlexFlash enabled. I have applied a boot policy of CD/DVD, and SD.

With these settings, the ESXi installer (5.5u1) only sees the internal 2.5" drives and does not see any of the partitions off the SD card. I've tried replacing SD in the boot order with Local Disk, changed Legacy mode to uEFI, and have poked around in the BIOS to see if I could force anything that might reveal the SD card as a bootable media, all to no avail. I set the scrub policy enabled for FlexFlash and re-acked one of my servers. What am I missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brad

Are you using Cisco branded sd cards?

If this a Cisco card try the steps below, we must first  synchronize the SD cards before they can be detected. (see attached word document for screenshots)

1. Create scrub policy to scrub the FlexFlash only
  2. Assign policy to service profile in question
  3. Re-acknowledge the server in question
  4. Wait for the re-acknowledgement to complete 100% you can check this on the FSM, notice that the server will reboot and the process will require a shallow discovery and a re-association of the service profile. (Note: Step 33 on the FSM will show you the process of the scrubbing of the FlexFlash.)
  5. After the re-ack is completed, disable the scrubbing of the flex flash from the scrub policy
  6. After saving the changes, re-ack the server one more time.
  7. Wait for re-acknowledgment reboot the server, you may also want to press f6 to load the boot option while the server is rebooting, here should see the HV partition

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brad

Are you using Cisco branded sd cards?

If this a Cisco card try the steps below, we must first  synchronize the SD cards before they can be detected. (see attached word document for screenshots)

1. Create scrub policy to scrub the FlexFlash only
  2. Assign policy to service profile in question
  3. Re-acknowledge the server in question
  4. Wait for the re-acknowledgement to complete 100% you can check this on the FSM, notice that the server will reboot and the process will require a shallow discovery and a re-association of the service profile. (Note: Step 33 on the FSM will show you the process of the scrubbing of the FlexFlash.)
  5. After the re-ack is completed, disable the scrubbing of the flex flash from the scrub policy
  6. After saving the changes, re-ack the server one more time.
  7. Wait for re-acknowledgment reboot the server, you may also want to press f6 to load the boot option while the server is rebooting, here should see the HV partition
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: