cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable To See Global Pools/Vlans

shamel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, im working on a test deployment of UCS Central.  We have a Spare pair of  UCS 6120 FI's with a Chassis and blades for the test.

We have built out the UCS central server,  and registered the pod with UCSC.  I have Set all settings to global, and placed the pod in a Domain Group. "NYMPUCS"   there is also another DG called "TESTUCS" 

I have created a qualifer for the domain group "NYMPUCS" and "TESTUCS"  and created pools and vlans assoiated with them. 

When i attempt to associated a Global Service Profile i get the following errors:

There are not enough resources overall.

MAC address assignment failed for a vNIC, possibly illegal MAC address or no available MACs in the pool.

UUID address assignment failed, possibly illegal UUID or no available UUID in the pool.

WWNN address assignment failed for a vHBA, possibly illegal WWNN address or no available WWN in the pool.

WWPN address assignment failed for a vHBA, possibly illegal WWPN address or no available WWN in the pool.

I tried Creating a Local Service Profile, referencing Global Configuration.

I can see the Global vNIC templates, and apply them to the local service profile, but i get an error on the referenced vLANS.   It also appears to take a MAC from the global pool.  I can see the global MAC pool from the nic configuation, but i cant see it on the LAN Tab.

The Template refernces a Global VLan and i get the following error on the nic

The named vlan g-vMotion_MGMT for vNIC test2 cannot be resolved

referenced-vlan-unresolvable

When i do the same thing for a HBA, which is associated to a global-WWxN pool, I cant see the pool at all, and it defaults to derived. 

Best i can see is not all the configuration is coming down from UCSC  I cant see my vsan/vlan, i cant see the pools (MAC, UUID, WWxN)  and so its not working properly.  I can see some of the global policys, but it appears that i can change them. and they say the owner is "local"

im not really sure what im missing here, but something is not right at all.

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just a clarification: did you create the pools under root, or under a suborg ?

I think it is best practise to place them under root.

If you create a SP, do you see this global pools appearing as a choice ?

the pools and policys are all created under root (not a sub org)  where applicable a Range ID Qualification Policy is applied for the Domain Group.

I can see some of the poosl (mac pool) when i make a local service profile on the FI's, but others i cant see (WWxN)  and i cant seem to apply global policys at all.  i get the error referenced above which indicates pool issues, but they are all 512 in size and currently have nothing built so they are all available.

your error message

The Template refernces a Global VLan and i get the following error on the nic

The named vlan g-vMotion_MGMT for vNIC test2 cannot be resolved

referenced-vlan-unresolvable

is most likely due to

Resolution of global VLANs takes place in Cisco UCS Central prior to deployment of global service profiles that reference them to Cisco UCS Manager. If a global service profile references a global VLAN, and that VLAN does not exist, deployment of the global service profile to Cisco UCS Manager will fail due to insufficient resources. All global VLANs created in Cisco UCS Central must be resolved before deploying that global service profile.

All VLANs configured in Cisco UCS Central are common to the domains in which they are created, but you must first assign organization permissions before the Cisco UCS Manager instances that are part of the organizations can consume the resources. By default, no organization permissions are assigned when a VLAN or group of VLANs is created in Cisco UCS Central. Once organization permissions have been granted to a VLAN, it becomes is visible to those organizations, and available to be referenced in service profiles maintained by the Cisco UCS Manager instances that are part of the organization.

The Vlans Do exist in UCS Central, but UCSM does not see them for some reason.  I think im going to open a ticket with Cisco tac.  im not sure if im missing something, or if its just not working.

So we found one bug while on support with Cisco.  It seems that if you add a ucs Pod to ucs central, then remove it (like we did)  it does not remove all the global policys that it pulled down.   when we readded it, we had conflicts between the global polcys, and the local copys of the global policys from the first association.  so we had to remove it from ucs central, remove all the global cashed policys, then reconnect to ucs central

when we finished with Tac we were still having an issue with WWxN pools.  We switched those to WWnN and WWpN pools and that seemed to resolve it.   We also think some of our issues stem from building the pools in root using dg Qualifiers to assign them to different DG's   but we never validated it.

in the end we decided to hold off on deploying UCS central at this time and focus our efforts on other initiatives.  Hopefully future revisions will fix some of the bugs we came across and make this a more viable solution for managing our environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: