cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uplink switch config - Communication between them

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to install UCS with two Catalyst switches (3560G and 3750G). Do I make a peer-link port-channel between them? Is it a requirement for communication to work?

Is it a requirement to cable the port-channel coming from the FIs to each of the two switches? Or can I cable two links to the same uplink switch?

Plase reply soon as I am running out of time..

Message was edited by: Atle Dale

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Atle,

Yes we need a common l2 platforms for the vlans configure on the UCS since the two FI create two different fabric (A&B) and any traffic from A for blade on B and vice versa will need to be switched by the upstream switches. if you do not have a common point above the 3560 and the 3750 then you need to have a link between the two switches. Do make sure to allow the vlans (configure on ucs and others if required) on those ports as well as make sure the spanning-tree is not blocking them.

i am not very sure about your second questions, however on what ever i understand:

1) if you have multiple links going to the same switch its prefered to put them in a PO

2) since these switches are different and not in a VSS, you will need seprate Po for each switch.

Hope this helps!

./Abhinav

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Atle,

Yes we need a common l2 platforms for the vlans configure on the UCS since the two FI create two different fabric (A&B) and any traffic from A for blade on B and vice versa will need to be switched by the upstream switches. if you do not have a common point above the 3560 and the 3750 then you need to have a link between the two switches. Do make sure to allow the vlans (configure on ucs and others if required) on those ports as well as make sure the spanning-tree is not blocking them.

i am not very sure about your second questions, however on what ever i understand:

1) if you have multiple links going to the same switch its prefered to put them in a PO

2) since these switches are different and not in a VSS, you will need seprate Po for each switch.

Hope this helps!

./Abhinav

thanks, this cleared it up!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card